front pads and mahine the rotors

zoltron30

if i recall the final bill for mine with shipping was like $135 for the four rotors, pads and shipping.

HT is too big for my taste, but you cannot beat their vendor marketplace for finding deals

Thanks everyone for your input, I had to make a decision at 9am today. So to everyone that posted after that, you did NOT waste your time, I will likely be ordering my parts from the sources you mentioned.

I have been checking back on this thread periodically, looking at everyone's responses, but I didn't want to post my reply until I had my pictures up. I am pretty jealous of the deals you guys got on Brembo products, but I ended up back at NAPA this morning.

I explained what happened to the last pair of rotors they sold me and the guy could only advise me that NAPA does not warranty rotors since, "Rotor wear depends on how you break." Frankly, I was tired of being told that, since like I have said before, I do not race in that car and I don't drive extremely fast. So I was like, whatever, just give me some more rotors. He quotes me a price of $39.99 each, and I ask for the premium rotor (to prevent the same situation I am in now), and he informs me NAPA only sells premium. :rant:

SO, I ask if they have anything better than premium. He tells me that NAPA just recently joined with Altrom to distribute Brembo products, and they have my Brembo blanks in stock, $77.69 each. :drool: I figured if I was going through NAPA rotors twice as fast as I should be, then paying slightly less than twice the cost of NAPA rotors for Brembo blanks leaves me ahead of the game, the pair: $155.38 plus 7% sales tax.

I went ahead and stopped by Honda and picked up another set of pads incase the heat damage destroyed my pads; I would learn later in the afternoon that this was really smart. Dan hooked me up on Honda P/N 45022-SM5-506, $50.75 plus $3.56 sales tax.

Here's the goodies:

Honda001-1.jpg

I later find out how lucky I was to already have the pads on hand.

So, I got to find out why my rotors where so damaged. Turns out that CRAPA, I mean NAPA, gave me the wrong parts the last time I did brakes (where I had to change my rotors at the same time since they too where heat damaged). The last time I did my brakes, I didn't have a slide hammer to get the rotors off the car (5G Accords have pressed rotors), so I: changed the pads, bought rotors from NAPA, and then took the rotors to Honda to let them install the rotors with the new pads already on the car.

The old set was a whole 21mm smaller in diameter; the pads rode the edges and caused excessive heat damage.

Honda002-1.jpg

Honda003-1.jpg

This time, I checked after installation and the Brembos are a clean fit, the pads do not hang over the edges of the rotors like the last set I had on the car.

Honda005.jpg

Honda006.jpg

The Brembos could actually be 2.5mm wider since my caliper brackets leave additional clearance with this OE set. I have seen a few performance threads for the 5G 4-cylinder Accords that suggest swapping out 4-cylinder brakes for a V6 set, take it from me; you can fit a huge rotor under the V6 brake caliper.

Remember how I had Honda install the last pair of rotors, well, the Honda tech that did the installation damaged the lower ball joint, I had to buy a thread restore kit to fix it, but it's dark now, so that will come tomorrow.

And while I was down there this afternoon, I saw that my power steering is going to fail soon, but that is another thread (jack).

One more thing, I asked the guy at the NAPA counter if he had Brembo slotted rotors (you know, since they now stock the blanks), he said they do not stock "after-market" products since there is no money in it. I didn't even dignify that with a response, but I thought you people would find that amusing.

sweet jesus thats a hell of a brake pad! that actually looks a little like the one I had where the tab got hung up above the slider and only the forward half of the pad was contacting the rotor - the back half was 1/4 inch raised off the surface of the rotor.

good to see you found the source of the problems. I am surprised that honda didn't realize that the rotors were the wrong size when they put them on last time.

good to see you found the source of the problems. I am surprised that honda didn't realize that the rotors were the wrong size when they put them on last time.

I'm not, everyone's human. At least when I do the work, I am accountable for any mistakes. Joe Honda technician just gets a check and probably would not be phased one bit to know he installed 4-cylinder rotors on a 6-cylinder car.

I have never had a thread restore kit before, I highly recomend it to all the newbies. If I had this kit along time ago, I would have saved alot of time and money. Plus, it was only $45 at Sears.

The kit worked like a charm, I even cleaned the corrosion off my wheel studs. Now I know what it means when the Service Manual reads: Castle Nut, 12x1.25mm, 49-59Nm (5.0-6.0 kgfm, 36-43 lbf-ft).

There wasn't any guessing when it came to choosing the right thread, the Helm Service Manual made it so easy, I just found the attachment point and it would tell me what rethread piece to use. :)

Thanks everyone for the help, I will probably order some Brembo Pillar Vented blanks in 9-10 months and stick them in my closet, unless I decide to give the slotted a try, I would then try and get a set of Brembo Maxes.

Edit:

Brembo doesn't make Pillar Vented nor Maxes for my car.

I checked around and this is what I got for Brembo P/N 25430:

The only two authorized distributors in Jacksonville, FL (they both keep my blanks in-stock):

NAPA: $83.13ea

Eastern Imports: $49.22ea

Here are the internet prices I found:

importrp: $56.60ea (x3772, I still appreciate the imput)

Tire Rack: $53.36ea

Buybrakes: $52.20ea

PartsandAccesories: $48.49ea

All prices are with tax, shipping, handling, etc. added to the per unit price to make for a fair comparison.

Accord V6s are just more expensive when it comes to Brembo blanks (the slotted set and cross drilled types are ridiculously expensive).

I am so jealous, $139.99 for Acura Integra Brembo blanks on eBay, AND THAT'S FOR ALL 4 WHEELS!!!!!!!

your better off doing it your self thak the two caliper bolts out and then the bracket bolts buy new pads and new rotors it cheaper to buy new rotors then maching them ......four bolts and your on your way ...good luck it's pretty easy to do them

it cheaper to buy new rotors then maching them

New Rotor: ~$50.00, Resurface rotor on lathe "Machine Rotor": $5.00

We have had this discussion before, some on here swear that resurfacing is unnecessary. I really do prefer to resurface them despite the possibility that it is unnecessary.

...four bolts and your on your way ...

That is alittle misleading, 5G Accords have pressed rotors, the removal involves 2 bolts for the calipers, 4 bolts on the hub front, 4 bolts in back, 1 spindle nut, and then a slide hammer.

If I was just changing the pads, I could change them by removing one bolt on the caliper bracket.

New Rotor: ~$50.00, Resurface rotor on lathe "Machine Rotor": $5.00

We have had this discussion before, some on here swear that resurfacing is unnecessary. I really do prefer to resurface them despite the possibility that it is unnecessary.

Depends on how badly they're grooved. If you catch the pads before they become metal to metal, resurfacing is *oftentimes* unneeded.

Depends on how badly they're grooved. If you catch the pads before they become metal to metal, resurfacing is *oftentimes* unneeded.

I know, but I am reeeeeally anal (I'm a Libra) and I cannot stand the sight of anything not perfectly smooth (to the touch and sight) under my new pads.

hi guys just a quick question...

i have a 2001 honda accord and i need some front pads and need to have the rotors machined. honda is charging 275.00. just wondering if i should buy the pads and pay another mechanic for the labour or have a friend of mine install the front pads.

just wanting to know if i should let someone else do the job or honda. dont feel like shelling out 300.00

thanks

I have a 2005 Honda Accord and 2002 Honda Civic and I have purchased its brake pads and rotors online for each of them. I found it nice to purchase online 'coz of my dad, I got my brake pads and rotors for almost $300 but quality-wise, they are the best. Up until now, I still haven't replaced those brake sets I had for my Honda Accord parts.

I've never bought any replacement rotors from anywhere but advanced auto parts... i've also never had a problem with them... but then again, i do change my brakes a lot sooner than most people... (i usually let them get just past half way before i replace them.... i personally like being able to stop..)

• 1 year later...
hi guys just a quick question...

i have a 2001 honda accord and i need some front pads and need to have the rotors machined. honda is charging 275.00. just wondering if i should buy the pads and pay another mechanic for the labour or have a friend of mine install the front pads.

just wanting to know if i should let someone else do the job or honda. dont feel like shelling out 300.00

thanks

I have 4 rotors and front pads that I'll get to u for 150. That's like a Christmas present.

I have 4 rotors and front pads that I'll get to u for 150. That's like a Christmas present.

Dude, wtf. He posted that Dec. 2007, and the last reply was last April 2008. Why would you reply to this?

Archived