Engine swap or new car?

sleepster

i've got a 97 Honda EX with a 1.6L vtec, but its got close to 170,000 miles on it and is in bad need of several repairs. (New clutch, struts, rotors and pads, battery, CV Joints on both sides) i'm currently going to school and she's holding together for me now, and i'm just wondering whether or not i should waste the time and effort to save up and buy a new engine (i was thinking either a b20, or maybe even k20) or just sell the car as is and invest in either a EK hatch, Civic Si, or Integra Type R. i love my car to death, but i just don't think that she'd be able to hande an engine swap with so many miles on the chassis.

the miles on the chassis doesnt mean squat.

I had the exact same car as you and I swapped in a gsr motor at 120k miles and drove it to close to 200k miles before it was taken from me.

a k20 swap would be an awesome thing to have, but its very pricey.

In my opinion, go with a gsr swap (b18c1) and throw a few bolt on mods and you will be happy. trust me.

+1 on the GSR swap and my 92 has 173K on the chasis and will be getting a new motor in june *crosses fingers*

last motorswap I had in my car was b18c1. Chassis had 270,000 miles. I would fix the old girl cause if you get another car you probably would have to do the same repairs. Happy revving

true true. the b20b motors are like $650 on hmotorsonline.com I don't think that is with the tranny either so you can still find the gsr tranny elsewhere. and he is right the b20b motor is a very good platform to build on. Most of the b-series parts swap with the b20 making it relatively easy to do a head swap and make it vtec if you so wish, or just stick with it non-vtec and do a turbo setup. or even just do a few bolt on mods. You will notice a HUGE difference over the power of the d16 motor. I own a 98 civic sedan with the d16 so granted its a little heavier but I had driven that for months and my buddy did a b20/b16 hybrid swap in his 95 hatch and that thing is fast already, and all he had done aftermarket wise was a 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, a short ram intake, and a stage 3 racing clutch.

true true. the b20b motors are like $650 on hmotorsonline.com I don't think that is with the tranny either so you can still find the gsr tranny elsewhere. and he is right the b20b motor is a very good platform to build on. Most of the b-series parts swap with the b20 making it relatively easy to do a head swap and make it vtec if you so wish, or just stick with it non-vtec and do a turbo setup. or even just do a few bolt on mods. You will notice a HUGE difference over the power of the d16 motor. I own a 98 civic sedan with the d16 so granted its a little heavier but I had driven that for months and my buddy did a b20/b16 hybrid swap in his 95 hatch and that thing is fast already, and all he had done aftermarket wise was a 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, a short ram intake, and a stage 3 racing clutch.

Unless you can find the rest of the parts for cheap to do the swap (mounts, axles, tranny,shift linkage, ecu, clutch) the cheapest swap would be the b16. Try to by swaps complete as it prevents headaches and money issues when you realize your missing something. You can do the b20 and put some brian crower stage 2 cams in it. It should make real good power. Be very fun to drive around town as it has torque. Only do the b20 if you plan on re-building the block for reliablity as buy just bolting it on with a vtec head will be fun in the short run but fail in the long run (spun bearings due to improper lubrication and bent valves due to small valve reliefs on the b20 pistons) happy revving

Archived