Problem Starting

94gsr

94 GSR, intake, header, exhaust, intake manifold. 120,000 miles. The other day i was driving it, pulled out of a parking lot, brought it up to about 4500rpm, shifted in to second, then third, and then it died. And then it didnt start back up, at all. The motor tries to start, but doesn't kick over. Any ideas would be appreciated...

-Not sure if this is relevant, but my friends van did something like this. They ran a bunch of electrical tests, and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. It wasn't pumping enough fuel, but was still turning on. - Mine is still turning on, well, sounds like it is.

Doesn't SOUND like it's getting fuel but if you're saying the pump is functional.

Thats what I thought, but ya know how you can hear when it kicks on if you have the key turned, well I'm pretty sure I hear it, although I could be wrong. I also unhooked the fuel line from the fuel rail, and it squirted fuel out.

Maybe injectors?

when it turns over you never hear it even try to pop off? it would be a rotor also pull the cap off the distributor to make sure it didn't come apart. mine did a while back.

definitely somin to do with the dizzy , be it a coil , ICM , or CPS sensor. find one of your buddies with a DOHC VTEC engine of the same OBD and try thier dizzy.

definitely somin to do with the dizzy , be it a coil , ICM , or CPS sensor. find one of your buddies with a DOHC VTEC engine of the same OBD and try thier dizzy.

thanks, i will hopefully get around to that soon and let you guys know. its funny, i was just thinkin, abotu 5 or 6 of my buddies all bought integras after i got mine, and everyone made a big deal about how we all have the same car and whatnot, and they all have 96 and up! what luck. thanks guys

• 1 month later...

replacing distributor... just get a stock one, or should i upgrade?

make sure the place you buy it at has a good return policy - if you didn't borrow one to test with first. honda disti are expensive and it would suck if it turned out to not be the problem and you couldn't return it. Although I haven't known cranny to be wrong on things like this, I just try to play it safe myself.

thinking on this further , whoever mentioned a broken timing belt , i think i read someone did , could be right. be a good idea to whip your dizzy cap off and make sure the rotor turns when engine is cranked.

i said that and iceah said timing. i mean i had the screw on the rotor come off mine a long time ago. that cause me to have the same thing he had. i was driving then all of a suddon the car shut off. tried to start it and it didn't even pop off it just turned over. Replaced the cap and rotor and she was good as new.

Kegger's right check your PGM Sensor, thats more than likely your problem, i've had the same problem with my g20, and it turned out to be a Mass Air Flow Sensor, same concept.

Kegger's right check your PGM Sensor, thats more than likely your problem, i've had the same problem with my g20, and it turned out to be a Mass Air Flow Sensor, same concept.

Does the cranking rhytm sound the same as before? if not you broke the timing belt or jumped a couple of teeth. as far as buying a part to check if its the problem and returning it because it didn't fix the problem is wrong and some places will not refund you the cash, well there not suppose to. My shop teacher use to call these witch hunts. People will do that till they find out what works. Diagnosis the problem and repair it right.

Does the cranking rhytm sound the same as before? if not you broke the timing belt or jumped a couple of teeth. as far as buying a part to check if its the problem and returning it because it didn't fix the problem is wrong and some places will not refund you the cash, well there not suppose to. My shop teacher use to call these witch hunts. People will do that till they find out what works. Diagnosis the problem and repair it right.

havent had any time to even think about doing anything to my car. i replaced the rotor, and it did nottin. i will try what cranny said either tomorrow or sometime this weekend. and i dunno if i said this already, but we checked for spark at the end of the wires, and there was none. <-unless that changes something... thanks again.

and im pretty sure it sounds the same...

Archived