painting a car?

ducttape2334

a family friend has all the necessary equipment to paint a car and a place to do it. My question is how many gallons of primer, paint, and clear coat would i need?

I am going to try for a jet black or maybe a metallic blue undecided as of it right now.

Thanks

Gallon of base should do it. Depending on how deep/wet you want the paint to look..could vary on the clear.

Use as much primer as you want. Just don't skimp it.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy that painted my old car (he was a pro) did it at his new shop and didn't have a paint booth yet. He did have a seprate closed off section of his garage for spraying cars though. I just sprayed down the floor with water before painting to keep dust from kicking up, then he wetsanded and buffed any dust that got in the paint. Came out looking better than any paint I've seen period.

My old hatch which started it's life as Vogue Silver Metallic, was repainted to Toyota's Super Red.

Needless to say, it was done in a dual-car carport with bisquine on the ground and the sides/back/front enclosed.

Came out awesome. Probably cheapest route, too. Unless you have a garage or something like that already setup.

Three layers of primer with a coat of sealer after each, two to three coats of base. Eyeball the clear. Buff and polish.

you shouldn't be spraying a coat of sealer in between each layer of primer

3 layers of high build, 1 or 2(if all underneath isn't hidden) of your primer sealer, then base, clear.

• 3 weeks later...

as iv only got a single garage its unlikely ill be able to get round my car with ease so ill probably have to take off as many panels as possible and do them separately..

i was just wondering, do the rear panels on an EG6 come off??

and what are the minimum specs of air compressor and spray gun do i need?

what about dust and sh!t???

i live in a very suburban area, i cant see my neighbours, who are middle-aged baby boomers, being too happy with some punk spraying chemicals' on his car on the side of the road :p

what about the aircompressor and spray gun, whats the minimum spec i need?? thanks

You can do it in your yard..just make sure you hose the area down and lay down some bisquine or something on the ground. And keep it away from tree's. My EJ6 was an outside of a shed/house paintjob and the only thing that was wrong with it was the fact it had minor orange peel beneath the clear on one door.

my friend did hers outside on grass...what she did though was take steel tubes ($15 bucks) and build a mini garage around it...hung clear plastic on those poles...it let her adjust it on a day to day basis. she told me the whole setup cost her $55 bucks and an hour to set up. Worked great for her, if only the paint color was better haha.

i was just wondering, do the rear panels on an EG6 come off??

that would be a negative, unless you like welding. it is a unibody car. the rear panels are technically part of the frame.

and should i use a spray gun/air compressor or would rattle cans do the trick??

im planning to use an air compressor as it will probably look a lot nicer and will be easier to do...but if i can get a good finish with a spray can it will be much cheaper!

Flat black looks great when done correctly, and on the right car.

Rattle-canning will not be cheaper, unless you're talking about your basic spray paint and minimal effort. I think the PPG rattle cans I got for the CRX's engine bay were about $13/can.

An 80 gal compressor and some Snap-On gun were used to spray my CRX. Not sure if the amount of air in the compressor or spraying too close was the cause for the orange peel on the passenger side, maybe a combination of both.

Archived