Question about ITR 4.7 FD in GSR Trans

Would a 4.7 Final Drive make a noticable difference in acceleration on my GSR? I'm considering this w/ a lightened flywheel to help me get through the gears quicker. Plus I think it would be kind of cool to run mid-14's with only Intake, Header, Exhast on the motor.

Would love some thoughts on this. I"m trying to decide what to do next performance wise and anything else with the motor will require OBD-1, chipped and tuned which is $$$.

Also, what would my rpms at 70mph w/ the 4.7 FD?

So a 4.928 would make a pretty noticable difference? Any idea what that would have my rpms at 70? At one time you posted up different gear ratios and what mph each gear maxed at. If you have a chance to do that for a GSR tranny w/ a 4.928 FD, I would really appreciate it.

my gsr with a 4.4 fd at just over 70 was pushing just about 4 grand in 5th

That's odd because my GSR w/ the stock 4.4 FD is at 3500 rpms (exactly) at 70mph.

Nancy....all of your gears were shorter than mine, so I'm thinking that my highway rpms would be lower than yours. I could also swap in an LS 5th gear to help out with that if it's too high.

If anyone knows a link to a calculator to figure these different rpms out and stuff, please post a link. 4.9 FD w/ Lightweight flywheel and LS 5th gear might be the best combo, but not really sure. I don't know a lot about gearing, just that shorter gears, means quicker acceleration with a sacrifice on the top end.

the ITR tranny has a different 2nd and 3rd gear as well , shorter than GSR. LS 5th might be a good add on hung , but if your really gonna do this , than start with final drive and see how it is. i wouldnt put an LS 5th gear in unless you really think you need it.

my bad hung i have a 96 spec itr trans with the 4.4 fd and lsd so thats why im getting what i get

http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring/trannyspecs.html

maybe this chart will help it has all the gear ratio's of all honda tranny's and maybe my car doesnt have the 4.4 but i could have sworn thats what it said when i ordered it i just know that when i put the itr trans with lsd i could tell a difference it pulled much harder

absolutely , but if it bothers you that much , you can either take your cluster out , take lens off , pull the speedo needle off(straight and carefully) , than go on the highway with someone in front of you with thier cruise set at 60mph. than match thier speed and push your needle back on again at 60 mph. that or you could go to honda , tell them what you have done , maybe they can calibrate it through your DTC port.

Changing gearing on any FWD Honda will not affect the speedo. Only thing that affects the speedo is the OD of the tire. This cannot be corrected by Honda.

GSR vs 4.9 GSR

GSR vs GSR gear set

I'd rather have the gear set. You can get through some gears quicker (graph wise) with the FD, but the gear set will keep you in the powerband all the time, which will make you faster than you would be with the FD.

Archived