how do you install a rpm gauge?

spike10197

you posted 3 times in the same section lol.

didnt come with directions? obviously has to be wired to something behind the cluster, couldnt tell you which one though. try searching on Honda-tech.com.

i had to put an autometer tachometer in mine cuz it used to be an auto, it came w/ directions how to hook it up, there are 4 wires, one is a hot, one is a gnd, one goes to the headlight switch so when you turn your lights on that gauge lights up as well, and the fourth is a pain because the directions say to run it to something off the distributor or some crazy thing like that, but i ended up figuring out which wire it was under the hood and taking the RPM reading from there, i dont recall how i figured it out though, but i do know that it was the fat blue one if that helps at all

hmmm i dont suck at the internet it just posted 3 times with out me knowing. i was trying to figure out how to erase the other 2 but w/e.

also

is it hard to hook it up?

i have a stick shift car so i think it would be different?

im not to sure :crazy:

hmmm i dont suck at the internet it just posted 3 times with out me knowing. i was trying to figure out how to erase the other 2 but w/e.

also

is it hard to hook it up?

i have a stick shift car so i think it would be different?

im not to sure :crazy:

Do you have a factory tach on your instrument panel? If so dont worry about another tach, if you dont just look for an instrument cluster with a tach youll only be able to find them used but its a just plug and play.

Besides a factory tach is all you need its more accurate anyway.

older style hondas have a little wear on them so they arent more accurate but its not inaccurate enough to put a stupid ass tach to uglify the instrument panel.

Yeah thats what i meant stock works well enough.

Is there a stock tach in your car?

If there is not then look for a 90-91 civic/crx instrument cluster like this:

943a_1.jpg

If your car is 5spd look for one without the PRND stuff.

Take your old one out and plug the new one in there you go tach installed no wiring necessary.

943a_1.jpg

Take your old one out and plug the new one in there you go tach installed no wiring necessary.

i have a tach but it doesnt come with the rpm gauge. its just the lights ex:check engie and so forth.

but it doesnt have an rpm gauge.

so if i find one like the one in the pic do i just unplug mine and put that one in?

Here's a little note for you, being as you know as little as you do.

Tach is Tachometer, which IS your "rpm gauge", as you like to call it. RPM gauge = Tachometer/Tach.

You have what is called a gauge cluster in your car. It probably doesn't have a tachometer in it. In fact, it doesn't. You said so. And yes, changing it will involve merely unplugging it and plugging the new one in.

Here's a little note for you, being as you know as little as you do.

Tach is Tachometer, which IS your "rpm gauge", as you like to call it. RPM gauge = Tachometer/Tach.

You have what is called a gauge cluster in your car. It probably doesn't have a tachometer in it. In fact, it doesn't. You said so. And yes, changing it will involve merely unplugging it and plugging the new one in.

thanks for the lesson.

sry that im not smart.

im just barely starting off on cars.

i enjoy working on mine :D

its been fun and hard

im assuming thats your ride in your avatar..

i had the same year except it was an si. you should gut teh entire car.. super light!!

yes that is my car and me.

and what do you mean by "you should gut teh entire car.. "

im lost at that part

• 2 weeks later...

943a_1.jpg

sorry but i am also trying to install that cluster. ive tried 2 different clusters. are they both garbage? i was informed i do not need to rewire, is this true? thank you.

the easiest way is to take off the top of the gauge cluster. your car is wired to have a tach, but you just dont have one. there is a big plug that goes into the backside of the face for the cluster. the one on the left that is green is the wire you hook it up to. if that helps at all

Archived