Fan speed switch no longer works

TrailMystic

The fan speed control (cabin climate control) stopped working. There is no longer a "click" between settings (0-1-2-3-4). It just moves freely without any resistance. At first I lost "0" and "1" settings, then I lost all settings (all off, no fan at all). I took the dial off and put it back on again. It's nothing as simply as a stripped dial control.

I went on bkhondaparts.com, but it is hard to determine which part is needed by the diagram. It that fan speed control somewhat easy to replace or is a major PITA?

Also, can you just buy the fan speed control, or do you need to purchase an "assembly" that replaces all the climate controls in the car. I DESPISE "assemblies" that force you to replace good parts because one one componet goes bad. No one seems to fix anything anymore. They just replace "assemblies" that contain many expensive components.

Thanks,

Pete

I'm sure you could get replacements for that stuff direct from Honda, but it will cost a bundle for something small cuz that's how they roll.

I have no idea how to remove that, but I bet you'll have to remove your dashboard to get at it.

• 2 years later...

The fan speed control (cabin climate control) stopped working. There is no longer a "click" between settings (0-1-2-3-4). It just moves freely without any resistance. At first I lost "0" and "1" settings, then I lost all settings (all off, no fan at all). I took the dial off and put it back on again. It's nothing as simply as a stripped dial control.

We had similar problem on a '95 and it turned out to be the blower motor itself, not the switch. We lost each speed one at a time until only 4 worked. A rebuilt blower motor was relatively inexpensive and not too difficult to replace.

dont start tearing the car apart for no damn reason

and check the RELAY in the fuse box (easiest to get to).. then check the resistor and the blower motor

if you get a manual it will tell you how to check if it is the resistor or the blower OR if its the relay before you have to tear anything apart and replace anything

I'm not typing all of it so go buy a manual

I know you said you pulled the knob off and you dont think it's that but the knob can be deceiving when its not working.

It's simple. If your not hearing the clicking noise and the knob is freely moving about, guess what. You've cracked your knob. It's not grabbing the plastic inside the a/c unit.

Simply pull the knob out by pulling it straight out and inspect it. If you have cracks on it, just replace it. A simple way to see if it IS just the knob is to get some pliers and turn the plastic piece inside manually and check to see if the fans come on, and if they come on no problem, then your entire issue is with the knob. Common problem with del sols.

If you need a blower motor, I have one for sale. Replacing it is very easy since you can do it from under the dashboard and it just unscrews from the bottom.

If you need a new a/c dash unit, I have one for sale. Replacing that is alittle more involved. Take your center console and radio console out, take the radio out, and theres a small screw that holds the a/c dash unit in place. Unscrew that, and disconnect the unit from the harness, and then disconnect the cable which goes from the a/c unit to your blower motor. It's the cable that switches you from hot to cold, it basicly just opens up the valve to allow hot coolant to pass through the blower motor. Then just pull it straight out.

Archived