Best Engine

GReddy2319

So I'm going to start doing some serious modifications to my 1994 Prelude. First thing that I'm looking into is a new engine. I currently have the non-vtec h23 and am looking to replace it with a new engine. UNLIMITED FUNDS. I honestly don't care if it costs me an arm and a leg for a new engine, I'm just looking for the best FWD engine that I can get into the engine bay and will get me the most acceleration and top speed. And I don't just want the best out of the engine, I'm also talking long term. After all the modifications and everything. But I do want to limit this to minimal body fabrication. Thats why I'm ruling out RWD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

get an h22 (prelude vtec motor), build the motor, then turbo it or supercharge it. get a good suspension, good sound system, maybe some better seats, nice rims, and enjoy.

Well, not unlimited unlimited. Like I'm not loaded...but if then engine costs 10 grand, I'll still pay it as long as it is going to be the best preforming engine I can get. This is in every way a project car. The final goal being to have it the fastest FWD car there is. If the h22 is the way to go, then I'm fine with that, keeps things simple. I just wasnt sure if there were any other engines that could lead me to bigger and better things.

And trust me...I'd be gettin the aston if I could

Well, not unlimited unlimited. Like I'm not loaded...but if then engine costs 10 grand, I'll still pay it as long as it is going to be the best preforming engine I can get. This is in every way a project car. The final goal being to have it the fastest FWD car there is. If the h22 is the way to go, then I'm fine with that, keeps things simple. I just wasnt sure if there were any other engines that could lead me to bigger and better things.

And trust me...I'd be gettin the aston if I could

So uh, when you make it to the 8's in the quarter, lemme know.

It's funny, cuz when you think about it $25k isn't much to make the "fastest FWD car there is."

But, if you're asking people what will be the best engine for your car then I think we can assume that you have a ways to go before you have the know-how required to build said car.

+1 to the H22a4 getting TC'd. That'll satisfy your cravings.

Don't take this the wrong way. You're right, I'm not a mechanic and don't know a whole lot about engines. But I live by the whole learn by doing philosophy. So if I want to piss away MY money and ruin MY car cause I don't know what I'm doing, thats my business. The point is I'm trying to do research here and find out what other people THINK is the best applicable engine for this. And yes I know that I'm going to have to spend a lot of money into the car to get it as fast as I want. The engine is not the only thing I'm replacing, its a starting point. I would not hesitate to put 80 grand into this car to get it where I want it. So for those of you that like to rip on people and act like some macho car guy, go somewhere else cause I don't need it. For those of you that want to give me your opinion on what you think would be the best engine, I'd like to thank you again.

"Fastest H22 is Stephan's old ProFWD car with a 8.12@186 not sure how much power we never put it on a dyno if I would have to guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 maybe more. "

pretty good potential

So with an h22 as my engine and crap load of modifications, you think that its possible to get this car to the 1000hp mark?

Maybe I should have been clearer about my goals also. I was wrong to say the faster FWD car. What I want is to make this car as fast as is possible, but still be street legal. Quarter miles are not of interest to me. I dont care if i can do it in 11 and change at 135 mph (rough guess)...cause thats only 7 mph faster than what i top it at now. Im looking for the highest top end speed, and as much acceleration as I can get on the way there. But so far it sounds like the h22-vtec is without a doubt the best engine. I just want some more engines to look into

So with an h22 as my engine and crap load of modifications, you think that its possible to get this car to the 1000hp mark?

Maybe I should have been clearer about my goals also. I was wrong to say the faster FWD car. What I want is to make this car as fast as is possible, but still be street legal. Quarter miles are not of interest to me. I dont care if i can do it in 11 and change at 135 mph (rough guess)...cause thats only 7 mph faster than what i top it at now. Im looking for the highest top end speed, and as much acceleration as I can get on the way there. But so far it sounds like the h22-vtec is without a doubt the best engine. I just want some more engines to look into

If you have this kind of money, wtf are you doing with a honda.

I'm assuming he means over time. But still, yeah, that's a question on my mind too. I guess it's just a pure project for the fun of it, though, which I could understand.

I'd say go h22 for ease of installment and modding potential. Not sure why you want to keep it streetable and also concentrate on all top end power and high top speeds. Hopefully you won't be driving it on the street like a maniac. Honestly I think you'd have more fun building something geared more for good pickup and nice handling. But your decisions are you own. Enjoy modding your Honda. It's addictive.

It's not about making the power it's putting it down. Those SPFWD cars have huge slicks, tubed chassis, fiberglass bodies, and a tough ass suspension. You won't beat them in stock trim.

Slap an H22 head on your motor, build it (iron sleeves, forged pistons, head studs, and a nice p&p), then boost it. You can make all the power you need, but like I said, the setup (especially gearing -- ours is designed for an economy sports car with a 160hp NA motor) is more important.

first of all if u wanna do an all motor swap with no forced induction go h22 if u want to do a turbo keep ur h23 strip it rebuild it and turbo it remember u can boost a non-vtec motor more than u can with vtec becouse it is harder to run 2 powerbands at the same time as u can 1 i kno its electronic but u have 2 have an understanding of motors to run them at high hp without causing alot of engine stress....like if u had a gsr b18c u can only run 25psi but an ls-nonvtec u can run about 35 psi which creates more horsepower than the vtec

ps civic cee do u kno how much a k20 would cost just to install into an accord cutting welding radiator exhaust comming from the rear and fabricating ur own motor mounts and shift linkage thats like 10k right there alone without any motor upgrades....remember honda makes these engines with the best interest in the car larger body means more torque u cant throw a b18c into a accord 4door and expect to race it

Well that makes sense to me, but dont most turbos provide only 7psi? I was looking at a turbonetics t3/t4 and they all said 7psi. Or am I getting my numbers wrong. I do plan on getting a turbo and if i can get more hp out of the h23 with the turbo than the vtec, then ill stick with what ive got.

h22 turbo will pwn. get an lsd transmission, and some big sticky tires for the accleration, and slap a turbo on a built h22, lighten the car out, and that will give you the top speed you want.

BTW, you can get alot more psi out of a turbo. get a boost controller, timer, and adjust the wastegate.

I reccommend a book for you to read, before you get into turbos.

Its "Maximum boost" by corky bell.

http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-Turboc...e/dp/0837601606

very good read if you don't know too much about turbos, and by the sounds of it, you don't. (no offense)

first of all if u wanna do an all motor swap with no forced induction go h22 if u want to do a turbo keep ur h23 strip it rebuild it and turbo it remember u can boost a non-vtec motor more than u can with vtec becouse it is harder to run 2 powerbands at the same time as u can 1 i kno its electronic but u have 2 have an understanding of motors to run them at high hp without causing alot of engine stress....like if u had a gsr b18c u can only run 25psi but an ls-nonvtec u can run about 35 psi which creates more horsepower than the vtec

WTF IS GOING ON HERE.

Archived