IS This a good deal?

bghonda

I'm looking at 99-00 si's and i saw one with 42k mi for 10k with just the basic mods and no si rims just hubcaps. How much should i pay and what should i look out for? i.e. salvaged, raced, flooded?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not sure but 10g's for a 99-00 SI w/ 42k miles is pretty cheap. if you look on the net and find a site with a blue book value, you can find out how much its worth. as for floods, you can sometimes find that out by looking at the spare tire area...see if there are any rust (people usually strip the car to let dry for days. as for salvage, you can run your fingers along edges of doors, hood, trunk to see if its been in an accident. if it smooth, then the part of the car wasn't damaged. if it feels rough then its been fixed.....of course this isn't always accurate b/c the previous owner may have paid for a brand new hood/door/trunk or whatever. you can look under the hood to also find out if the front end has been hit. see if the stock VIN number sticker has any peeling (moved from the original hood to the current hood) or you can look at the bolts in the engine bay area. if it has rust or if the screw is diff color then it has been taken out ......to be fixed.

good luck

I'm looking at 99-00 si's and i saw one with 42k mi for 10k with just the basic mods and no si rims just hubcaps. How much should i pay and what should i look out for? i.e. salvaged, raced, flooded?

first off.. when buying a used car... its always a 50/50 chance of getting a "good" car, so in my opinion take a family mechanic or a good friend that knows alot about cars and check it out... test drive it... do a carfax... check that ITS NEVER BEEN MODIFIED because if it is.. most likely the preview owner ragged [didnt take care] of the car.... thats all i can think of for now at the top of my head.. but yeah be real picky dont be scared to ask alot of questions...

For 10,000, there is definitely something wrong with it. Don't buy it because it says Si and has a better engine than other Civics, because the Si is the heaviest trim level of the Civic. You can probably find a 96 Civic shell for around 2-3 grand and pay 2,300 for a JDM B16A or 2,100 for a JDM H22A.

Whatever though, I'd set everything up right, so you can test drive it to your local Honda dealer (where you already have an appointment setup) and have them do quick check on it. If nothing is wrong with it besides the missing wheels (whoever took them off is a moron) then buy it, good deal.

That is a good deal. Price means nothing on a car. Get the scoop why the price is low. My friend just picked up an MR2 non-turbo for $600. When we asked why so cheap, the guy said his son was doing poorly in school, and he had bought the car for him. So, he sold it on his son to get him mad, and show he needs to get better grades in school.

If their are modds on the car, I would check what they are. Light modds aren't bad(intake, muffler) but still would steer away from the car because that means it probebly took some abuse.

EM1 SIs suck!

b16, please, torqueless wonder.

put that lame motor in a 2600 pound car, you are going nowhere fast.

the solution?

if you want a civic, with a B16, atleast make it fast. get a 96 civic hatchback (you can pick these up for cheap, like 4K) and throw in a JDM b16 that makes 170 horses. much better power/weight ratio, being that the hatch only weighs about 2200 pounds, and the motor makes 10 more horsies.

What if he isn't worried about being that fast? An Si is a perfectly good vehicle with decent speed from the factory if you just want a car to add mods to and to drive daily. Throw an exhaust and a supercharger and get high 13s out of it, or just some bolt ons and get into the 14s. Don't tell someone their car is crappy just because it isn't what you would get. Personally, I don't like Civics much, but I wouldn't come here and tell a guy it sucks. My husband has a 2000 Si. It's not as bad as I thought. It's completely factory except for an AEM cold air intake. We got a 15.5 out of it at the track.

We just put a JDM B16 into a 97 hatch. Haven't brought it to the track yet, but with that and the other mods it should run in 13s already.

What if he isn't worried about being that fast?

then you get an EX, Einstein.

An Si is a perfectly good vehicle with decent speed from the factory

no, its not.

Throw an exhaust and a supercharger and get high 13s out of it, or just some bolt ons and get into the 14s

baaaaahahahah, yeah, at 300 feet below sea level and its 32 degrees outside? you will be lucky to hit 15s with complete bolt ons. quit being an internet racer.

Don't tell someone their car is crappy just because it isn't what you would get

it isn't crappy. i never said it was. i said it sucks.

My husband has a 2000 Si. It's not as bad as I thought. It's completely factory except for an AEM cold air intake. We got a 15.5 out of it at the track.

haha, prove it.

We just put a JDM B16 into a 97 hatch. Haven't brought it to the track yet, but with that and the other mods it should run in 13s already.

again, haha. you put a JDM b18c into a 97 hatch, and you will be lucky to hit 13s.

I can prove it, it's on video, and we have the timeslips. I said it has decent speed from the factory, which it does for the price, compared to others in it's catergory. What if he wants to be faster than the average riced out Civic EX, DX, etc.. ? Get an Si. ANd about the supercharger, yeah, you can. I've seen it on at least 2 cars, in person, and I know what was done to the cars. And the JDM b16 is perfectly capable of hitting 13's, with the mods that are on the car I'm talking about, which you don't know because I didn't say. I said 'with the b16 and the other mods', meaning it's not JUST the different motor. Jackass.

well personally I really like the SI... and jackass, if you don't then that's your problem, not everyone has the same ideals as you... I would prefer to get a blue Si with low mileage over a 96 coupe that I have to build up to do anything with... as it is right now I'm driving my Lx with my stock motor cuz I can't afford a swap, if I had the chance to get an Si for slightly more I would do that in a heartbeat, you have more power while you save for your swap. Don't be an butthead because people don't do things your way

I drove a 99-00 Civic Si at work over the summer, it had an exhaust and an AEM short ram intake. Nothing impressive, only thing I liked is how smooth it shifted.

ok, I gauruntee the an SI with simple bolt-on's would hit 14's. My civic EX SEDAN with only a ram air intake, muffler, and yokohama drag tires beat a camero that ran a 16.0 at the track. That means that I am at least a 15.99, which is 15's, and an SI is supposed to run a 15.5 stock, so it really should run between a 15.5 and a 15.9. Also, a GSR with simple bolt-ons is hitting 13's here in GB.

Actually, Car & Driver got a stock Si to run 15.9 as a best. With only a cold air intake and 14 inch Nitto 555Rs it runs 15.5, from my experience. After a powercore exhaust and headers, it should run 15.0 - high 14's. Not bad for just a few bolt ons. Can an EX do that? No, because they run 17's stock. 2 seconds slower. So, back to the point, even if you don't want to be really fast, an Si is good, because you are already faster than most other Civics. And with a few bolt on's, you can make the gap bigger more easily than with an EX, DX...... The Si, with just the above 3 bolt on's, can hang with a GSR with an intake, muffler only (not full exhaust) and drag radials. That's not bad. Some people with civics have an intake, muffler, and to be quick, they throw a 55 shot in there. Then they run in the 15's. Take an Si with an intake, muffler, and a 55 shot and you will be pulling low 14's.

Now that i think about it i'd rather not spend all my money on a car are there any good cars for around 6k that is reliable, nice, and decent performance. Also i'm 6'1 200 lbs so it can be tiny thanks. For some reason i can only think of civic integras supras etc.

Actually, Car & Driver got a stock Si to run 15.9 as a best. With only a cold air intake and 14 inch Nitto 555Rs it runs 15.5, from my experience. After a powercore exhaust and headers, it should run 15.0 - high 14's. Not bad for just a few bolt ons. Can an EX do that? No, because they run 17's stock. 2 seconds slower. So, back to the point, even if you don't want to be really fast, an Si is good, because you are already faster than most other Civics. And with a few bolt on's, you can make the gap bigger more easily than with an EX, DX...... The Si, with just the above 3 bolt on's, can hang with a GSR with an intake, muffler only (not full exhaust) and drag radials. That's not bad. Some people with civics have an intake, muffler, and to be quick, they throw a 55 shot in there. Then they run in the 15's. Take an Si with an intake, muffler, and a 55 shot and you will be pulling low 14's.

I take it you have never heard of the correction factor.

Hot Rod Magazine built a Civic Si and supercharged it, the best time they hit with the s/c, i/h/e was in the mid 15's without a correction factor. w00t

Okay, I would have to see that. Please explain to us what a correction factor is. How come we took our Stock Si to the track with only a cold air intake and drag radials and ran consistent 15.5s? There is no way an Si, (with nothing wrong with it) has a supercharger and is only running mid 15's. Who was driving that car? Maybe they had no track experience, or no experience with a FWD car, being it is Hot Rod Magazine. I have a friend with a stock Si with just a supercharger. He hasn't run at the track yet, but is beating cars that run 14's all day.

Robert with Hyperformance Kustoms

1st= yes a 99-00 civ Si is a hell of a good deal, but most of the time you get what you pay for. A 10k Si seems unreal so do your homework.

2nd= to back up g.racer (my wife) and partner in our business Hyperformance Kustoms. Is right about Car & Driver best run on a 2000 Civic Si. Hell get to their website and look it up. As far as the Jackass is concerned, yeah you Einstein 15.9 is damn good for an all stock car, A 97+ integra Gsr runs a 15.7 in the 1/4. So how does that compute?

Dude seriously I gotta know what you drive. wait let me guess, hum, got it= 91 riced out, civic, with apc badges, and windshield squirters! Right!

You sound more of the internet racer Type. By the way how much track experience do you have, oh none it sounds like. ( interent racer indeed)

Ya ready for this and if this isn't enough I'll scan it and post it on here tomorrow, ok

Left lane

r/t= .616

60'=2.23 with nitto drags

330=6.560

1/8=10.034

MPH=70.84

1000=13.018

1/4=15.548

MPH=89.38

That is with aem cai without bypass, and worn Nitto 555r's

oh yeah and 17hrs track time and counting

3rd= as far as the hatch were working on 97 dx with jdm B16A 168-170hp, three day old V2 cai, and full exhaust, and oh yeah one more thing, ZEX 65 shot to back it up, now tell me this isn't capable of a high 13 sec pass with drag radials.

4th= supercharged Si ran what! Wait was it trashed, check out the vortech Si or the Jackson racing Si, no 15's there, nor do I know what the hell is a calc. factor. Just put it this way Track time doesn't lie, and as far as sea level why do people make that such a big deal, no calculations needed in Houston or Baton Rouge.

yeah 15.54 with me in it 6'2, and 212 lbs go figure. Just do some research on the Car and buy what you want bro, get an idea in your mind and do it.

--------------------

Hyperformance Kustoms

*Specializing in Hondas & custom trucks*

hyperformancekustoms.com

yeah you Einstein 15.9 is damn good for an all stock car, A 97+ integra Gsr runs a 15.7 in the 1/4. So how does that compute?

STOP INTERNET RACING. those are car and driver times. ringer cars, and they don't even run the cars on a real 1/4 mile track! its basically an empty parking lot with a g-tech pro on the dash, lol.

btw, i have still not seen any proof from you. keep talking.

Dude seriously I gotta know what you drive. wait let me guess, hum, got it= 91 riced out, civic, with apc badges, and windshield squirters! Right!

You sound more of the internet racer Type. By the way how much track experience do you have, oh none it sounds like. ( interent racer indeed)

lol! yeah, 91 riced out civic with APC badges, you got it. my name is JDM jackass because im a bandwaggoner, right?

seriously though, i drive a 2000 civic cx with a b18c5 swap. street legal, daily driven, cal REF'd. how much track experience do i have? im willing to bet more than you. im not a drag racer bro, im a track whore. i'll tell you what... watch "Super 2NR TV" on may 3rd. it is a Civic vs. SE-R race at willow springs, im representing honda-tech.com, watch for me. again, keep at internet racing, yes, all em1s run 15.9 and all dc2b18c1s run 15.7. c&d said so, and even though they were testing ringer cars on a not-so-legit track, it is afterall car and driver, so it MUST be right.

cheers.

and i totally understand that you have to be the "big bad boyfriend" and back up your girl, no matter how stupid, off-topic, non-relivant, just plain bad the information she gives out is.

That isn't my 'big bad boyfriend', it's my husband. And he isn't here to rescue me. He's here to prove a point. Anyway, I guess you think I'm just a little girly who likes cars because they are pretty and they go fast. No, you are wrong. And I don't give out stupid, irrelivant, bad information. Nor do I usually shove my opinion in other's faces, like some one here seems to do. I also do not internet race. I have the timeslips and video to prove it. And are we supposed to believe every word you say just because you say you made it to the tv screen (if we believe that)?? Although I would rather believe Car & Driver, I don't blindly follow their every word. I started out saying that beause the time they got is a good, average time that those cars actually run. You can take 3 brand new cars, any kind, and run them the exact same way, with the same driver, and you probably won't get 3 exact same times. No car is exactly the same. So you cant' just say every 99-00 Si runs 15.9. That would be wrong, but for our prposes here, it does just fine. So if you want to believe that Si's are junk, you know everything there is to know about Honda, no one races on the track but you, and b18's are the only engine worth a $hit, you go right ahead. But me and the rest of the world knows better.

:bow: owned again!

I'll definatley be looking for it on super tuner, but I'm willing to bet it is a buddy of yours, or surely you have a pic of it right, where's it @?

and What did it run @ button willow, show your slip!, 60'', r/t, 1/8 mile. mph, 1/4 mile mph, everything and the way it sounds you don't have over 17hrs track time, like me.

keep talkin trash about women who drag race and this will continue to be a male dominant sport, but I encourage it!

and until you prove you have a b18C5 hatch I'm calling BBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

to you Jackass.

as far as the big bad boyfriend crap I have been married for quite a while so don't hate, besides what kind of guy would back their girl on something she's right about.

Maybe that guy would be a jackass!

I'll definatley be looking for it on super tuner, but I'm willing to bet it is a buddy of yours, or surely you have a pic of it right, where's it @?

right here buddy! http://www.azparttrader.com/super2nr/index.html

and What did it run @ button willow, show your slip!, 60'', r/t, 1/8 mile. mph, 1/4 mile mph, everything and the way it sounds you don't have over 17hrs track time, like me.

you read often? i specifically said i DO NOT drag race. willow springs is a road circuit, not a drag strip.

and until you prove you have a b18C5 hatch I'm calling BBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

thats fine, i have nothing to prove to you.

you think your all bad ass because you have 17 hours of track time, on a drag strip? please, i get 17 hours of track time in 1 weekend on a road circuit. i'll leave you with the pyramid of speed. wheel to wheel racers (me), and drag racers (you).

s2k_laguna_triangle_7.jpg

http://www.nexttestdrive.net/p_of_speed.htm

take care.

Okay, as for that pyramid, it was clearly written by you, or some jackass just like you. And that doesn't say much. I can do the same thing, putting 'wheel-to-wheel racers' at the bottom, and drag racing, or anything else, at the top. Exactly what is that supposed to prove? Comparing different sports is pointless. One could say that football is the best sport and the rest are just dumb and for morons. Another could say that baseball is only for the best, and anything else sucks. But they are only opinions. Usually when someone says something like that, it means they either haven't even tried the other sport, or they tried and just suck at it. So maybe you haven't tried drag racing, tried it and just didn't like it, or you tried it and you aren't fast enough. But don't try to put other's hobbies down just because you are slow, or have a different opinion. If I say that wheel-to-wheel racers are gay, does that mean I'm right? No, (well, in some cases...) and you aren't either.

Archived