LSVTEC

heres some pics i promised boys of progress as of yet. ill add later , my camera went dead , lol. got engine pulled , on the stand and tore down. ill also take a little vid later of the bottom end and what happened to the engine. he spun a bearing i assume. i havent taken the bottom end apart yet , nor will i most likely no need. just get it out of my garage , lol.

the car sitting on stands no engine:

STA70893.jpg

hoist and B16 bottom end on the stand:

STA70894.jpg

the black hole , lol:

STA70895.jpg

waiting for his 95 B1 block to come back from machine shop , as well as several ebay and local purchases to arrive so we can continue. ill update it everytime i get somin or do somin.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i got a quick qustion on ls-vtec... when performing this operation is there a difference from using the b16 head and b18 ?

dont mean to be a thread pirate

B18C heads have a smaller combustion chamber than the B16 heads yeilding slightly higher compression ratio.

GSR head's also come with a butterfly intake manifold that is very restrictive, so if you go that route use an aftermarket intake manifold like AEBS, Blox, or Skunk 2.

Other than that, most B-series head parts are interchangable, so you can use ITR Cams/VT in a GSR head....and you can use P30 or P73 pistons in an LS block w/ a vtec head....it's very convenient and makes for a cheaper, but still quick build...

i personally wouldnt run B18C pistons in an LS block but thats me. GSR head also is designed better than B16 head as far as preventing detonation , or so ive read. but overall , B16 head is better in the long run imo.

got the block and rods back with what will be 11.5:1 - 81.5mm - PR3 pistons with moly coated skirts. hastings rings. lsvtec kit. ARP 9mm rod bolts installed. crank polished. all should be in my garage by next monday where ill have the hugest photoshoot ever boys , and assemble an engine. working on a crome chipped P28 , or were gonna chip his virgin OBD1 PR3. not sure yet. gonna run an ITR basemap and go from there. the fun is almost upon us. be nice when all is said and done to hit 185 whp , but well see. i dont know if hel ever dyno it for proof , i dont think hes that interested , lol.

you guys see the grey plastic storage box on the floor in the middle pic? thats housing a nitro powered 4WD RC truck. let me tell you , theres not much more fun to be had than standing on the side of the road and seeing your RC truck scream by at 10,000 rpm doin 45 , hahaha. ill get pics of that too , you guys will love that , maybe a vid.

oh fun doesn't describe it cranny.....

here is a my bro's truck....

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00721.jpg

its dirty as heck from all the mud lately.

at 10k, they are just above idle ... the highest redline i've seen is 48k rpm. his two picco .28 engines redline at like 37k rpms. something like 5.4hp total, 3 speed tranny, locked rear diff....yeah it screams.

expensive as hell tho....there is prolly over 1500 invested in that truck

EDIT: sorry for the threadjack cranny lol.....

no worries dude , that thing is sick , lol. twin engine sweet. , must be fun to start , lol. must run outa gas quick too. im building a custom tank for the one i got here , doesnt last nearly long enough.

yeah, its a bitch to start... once warm they run great, but cold....ugh...

get one started, go to the next get it started, and the first dies..... repeat...lol

fuel consumption isn't a big deal when the shiat is 40$/ gallon..... :rolleyes:

heres some pics of progress up to date.

fresh block back from machine shop , bored to 81.5 , crosshatched , journals cleaned , inside cleaned real good.

STA71002.jpg

STA71003.jpg

the head and couple other components. OBD1 PR3 head , new water pump . brand new , few months old dizzy , starter , oil pump , rear main seal.

STA71005.jpg

STA71006.jpg

GOODIES!!!

STA71010.jpg

STA71008.jpg

STA71009.jpg

bearings lubed , placed in journals , crank sitting in place waiting for caps.

STA71007.jpg

MORE GOODIE SHOTS!! , lol , including YS1 B17A GSR tranny.

STA71011.jpg

STA71012.jpg

STA71016.jpg

crank tightened in , few brackets in place so on.

STA71017.jpg

water and oil pumps and tensioner installed.

STA71018.jpg

shot of the caps and the beatiful new rod journals.

STA71019.jpg

breather box , alt. brackets , water pipe and oil sandwich plate installed.

STA71020.jpg

some fresh hole shots

STA71021.jpg

STA71022.jpg

rear main seal installed in holder and bolted on.

STA71024.jpg

testfit of headstuds and head gasket , alternator hung

STA71025.jpg

plug taken out of head , oil fitting and line installed in its place.

STA71026.jpg

STA71027.jpg

STA71028.jpg

more to come!! waiting on pistons to arrive via priority mail , lol.

in the box is brand new 81.5mm PR4's like dan is gonna run , and like this guy was gonna run until he came into more money , lol. were waiting for 11.5:1 moly skirt pistons to arrive via priority mail. car is gonna be running a chipped OBD1 PR3 , running an ITR basemap.

he is running PR3's , lol. 81.5mm , 11.5:1 , moly skirt PR3's sorry , hahaha. im pretty sure all the b16 heads have PR3 stamped on them. stock b16A cams and valvetrain yes , for now anyways , hes working on a guy here local who has springs and retainers and stage 1 cams , hes on a budget though so i dont think hes getting them. he can always add later anyways. car will still run strong , just not as strong , not as high of revs. hel be able to rev to 8000 rpm with this setup , but im guessing , he wont make much power after 7200-7500. just a guess at this point but well see.

If he just wants to get R cams, I have a set of ITR springs with 98k on them I'll let go of cheap.

If he wants to cam it I'll give him a good price on the RM M21X package. Cams, vt, chip, and plugs. Cost a good bit less than M22X's. Between ITR's and M22X's.

you know he is in the market SSR for a set of cams , hes just got limited budget and sort of going as g=he goes , you know. thanks for the offer dude , ill let him know , see what kind of mons he can come up with. he really needs some gear in the head to make this setup come alive , im sure you agree.

PM me with some prices SSR , ill let him know. thanks again dude.

Archived