Wobble in the tires??

I have a question. My 17's have a shake in them on the highway. My steering wheel shakes a little at sppeds of 65 and up. I know it's not the alignment because I just had it re-aligned, and it's not the balancing because I just had them re-balanced. I can see no bends in the wheel, and don't see any defects in the tire. Am I missing something. I'm guessing it has to be in the wheel/tire since it doesn't do it with the 14's. Any ideas?

Thats a good question my 89 crx does it, at first i figured maybe just age cause it did it after new tires and an alignment just not near as bad. Maybe your car just doesnt like the 17s. lol.

I have a question. My 17's have a shake in them on the highway. My steering wheel shakes a little at sppeds of 65 and up. I know it's not the alignment because I just had it re-aligned, and it's not the balancing because I just had them re-balanced. I can see no bends in the wheel, and don't see any defects in the tire. Am I missing something. I'm guessing it has to be in the wheel/tire since it doesn't do it with the 14's. Any ideas?

I have heard that the type of tires play a role in that. I once had the problem and bought a brand new tire and the problem was solved. I don't know how hot works but it solved it. Now my steering wheel shakes only b/c I bent my 19s :(

I have heard that the type of tires play a role in that. I once had the problem and bought a brand new tire and the problem was solved. I don't know how hot works but it solved it. Now my steering wheel shakes only b/c I bent my 19s :(

Jesus. How did you manage that?

You might have an off balance tire, You could of also lost a weight..

Try throwing the tires on the balance machine, thats what happend to my integra wheels that turned out to be bent... From looking at it you couldent tell but... sure enough they were....

They probably arent bent tho, the only other thing I can think of is they are off balance...

I know they're not off balanced. I just had them balanced 2 days ago and it still did it (not as bad now though). I haven't rotated them lately since I just put them back on, but I plan to rotate them front to back to see if that helps. If the vibration is in a tire that's on the front, moving it to the back should help....right?

Yeah, it should help to rotate the least well-balanced tire to the rear.

Your rims need sticky weights, which are hard to use even on a machine that's just been calibrated. Often times those get put on a car more off-balance than wheels that need hammer-on weights or the machine can simply need to be recalibrated when they were put on in the first place. Basically, what I'm saying is that there's a lot more that can go wrong in balancing rims like those than the 14s. Heck, even the way the tire was mounted makes a difference.

Bottom line, I would not discount the fact that they could be off-balance. Take them back and watch them spin them on the machine to make sure they aren't at all bent. Make sure they recalibrate the machine before they balance them, and make sure they use the right setting for the stickies instead of the hammer-on weights. Really, a shakey wheel is either a wheel hub or, much more commonly, an off-balance wheel or set of wheels.

Its a dot on the tire from the manufacturer that your supposed to line up with the valve stem..... although it doesn't really matter. they use them on almost every truck tire, and i wasn't sure if they used them on cars.

its like you line the dot with the stem, the balance ring opposite that, and the heavy side of the brake opposite that..... lol its pretty dumb cause some engineer thought it up.

none of it works in real life like it does on paper......

yeah, thats what everyone told me when i started mounting tires too. but I thought......if the tire is balanced, then it shouldn't matter where it is on the rim, its still balanced. the only time they would need to be indexed like that, is if they were balanced together, which they never are.

my uncle works for mcarthy tire and he also told me about it too, but then proceeded to say "it really doesn't matter...."

• 3 weeks later...

Explain the circumstances when this occurred. New tires? Any mods? New rims?

its called aftermarket parts. could be bad balance , scalloped tires(what im betting on) , hubs slightly off quilter which 17's and low pros would bring out the best in , lol. no centering rings make you more prone to this. my car is same way hung. no

UM have you checked to see if you have the right amount of tire pressure in it? When you have a problem always check the easiest things first. Low tire pressure can cause this. It could be as simple as that.

I just put these tires back on after winter and noticed it. Doesn't wobble with the winter wheels/tires so I know it's in the wheels or tires. I don't visually see a bent wheel so I'm assuming it's a tire. I'll just live with it and get new tires afterwhile. I just had them balanced (twice) and aligned so I'm not sure what the deal is. Might get the wheels powdercoated black too when I get new tires, but that's unrelated to this topic, so yeah.

Doesn't seem like it's because of balance since you got them balanced...so, it could be worn tires...damaged/warped drums and/or brake rotors...loose steering linkage? because your steering wheel is shaking!

nothing should make your car wobble/shimmy/shake at higher speeds except wheel balance thats it. the only thing that causes this , is rotating mass out of balance. a worn wheel bearing will not cause shimmy , i just pressed 2 new front into my civic not a week ago at work , made no difference. just quiet now , lol. alignment wont make your car shake either. scalloped tires , warped/bent steel belts in the tires , so on. if your brake rotors are warped real bad , you might be able to feel that on the highway.

my rear wheel bearing was so bad, I could move the tire about 1/2" up and down.....

didn't wobble....

steering dampener, bad bushings, not enough weight on the front end (have the problem) all can cause it too.

Archived