Quicker starts/shifts?

92civicEX

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations to make my start offs a little bit quicker. Is there any pointers, or is it just a matter of practice?

Also, around what rpm should I shift at in order to get the best results? I know it differs with every car, but I'm just looking for some hints on being a better, faster driver. Ex. letting off on the gas a little bit before you throw the clutch in to make it smother (those kind of small things)

For daily cruising, I ususually shift around 3000rpm. I'm almost kind of scared to get her above 5000rpm. I have heard that Honda engines actually perform better in the higher rpm ranges... how high are we talking here?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm eager to learn.

Thanks

Ex means you have a Vtec model, your car loves to scream above 5 grand... just dont take it past redline...

Usually with my non vtec, I shift around 6 grand when I want to get on it...

Thanks for the tip. I was aware it had vtec, but I dont think it kicks in till at least 5500rpm. I wont be as afraid to let her breath from now on :thumbsup:

Ex means you have a Vtec model, your car loves to scream above 5 grand... just dont take it past redline...

Usually with my non vtec, I shift around 6 grand when I want to get on it...

I'm pretty sure the Ex. is an abbreviation for example.

Doesn't mean he has an ex tranny.

I'm pretty sure the Ex. is an abbreviation for example.

Doesn't mean he has an ex tranny.

thats my boi your so cleaver. but ya 92civicEX was giving an example, the clues where the period at the end of the abbreviation and the example following it

but ya just practice and get a feel for how your car shifts. listen to her she will tell u if she wants to shift or just hold out a lil longer. only way to get better is by doing it

Shift 200 RPM after your power peak.

I thought you knew how to drive? You don't just assume you'll be making more power in the next gear, by guessing 200 rpm after peak.

you shift when you are making more power in the next gear, than you are in the current gear you are currently in.

what the fu*k is wrong with what i said?! you shift when your making more power in the next gear. no one cares what gears you have in it. if you are making more power in the next gear, might as well go up one.

i could give a flying fu*k what ratios the tranny you have in it is.

dude ull just eventually get the hang of where to shift. just get to know ur car man. if im stomping on it in mine i usually shift at redline or fairly close. but thats mine.

i usually shift right before redline and that works best for me (when i flooring it). and the powerband on a honda is so hi that no matter how late you shift you will be just below it. like when i shift right at 7200 i land at about 4000 something in the next gear, and i don't really feel it kick till 5,000. pyro, ssr, you guys seem to always have a cock fight on every thread.

I'm not a teen...

In a Civic EX (Y8), shifting at 6,800 (peaks at 6,600hp, 5,500tq)

RPM drop (shifting at 7,200)

2 - 4,000 (4,400)

3 - 4,500 (4,700)

4 - 5,000 (5,250)

Shifting at peak power lets you stay in the torque curve longer. Anything over 6,600 is slowing you down as power falls off hard in D's.

Archived