So the new wheels are on and now this...

Xeryon

So I put on my new (to me) wheels. For those that read my other thread about the dirt; I haven't fully cleaned them yet, but one of the original wheels had a flat so the new ones went on prematurely.

I put them on and two things:

#1 From the picture below the rears do not look like they are sitting correctly. (picture is with car in snow, but the rear wheels have the same angle on flat pavement). Any thoughts? I double checked to make sure they were mounted right. Seem to be on correctly.

#2 When I go over bumps I get a bit of a thump from the rear end. Not so much a sound of bottoming out (car isn't dropped at all) but more of a flat dead stop into something hard sound. There is spring to the back end though when I push on it, it just doesn't feel like it when I'm driving. Stuff like cruising over rr tracks at 50 is fine, but pulling out of a parking lot and you drive over the little bit of curb at the edge of the street an it happens. I looked closely and I'm not rubbing on anything either, as the behind the tires/wheels the dirt on them is undisturbed.

x032.jpg

x030.jpg

so you have the stock suspension on? check to see the lugnuts are tightned all the way down. sometimes they get crossthreaded and its tight, but its actually not. id jack the car back up and remount the rims

Both sides are like that though. Adn yes, it is stock suspension. I didn't take the nuts off, but I did check it closely and it -looked- ok from the outside. I didn't have time to try and redo them yet.

Never drove the car before, well...I drove it home from when I bought it which was all flat highway, then it sat for a month till I fixed it yesterday.

If you had never really driven it before I'd say it was something besides the rims. Taking wheels off and putting them back on doesn't normally upset things.

Were there spacers in random places fused to those dirty-a** wheels that you didn't notice or something? I mean, it honestly doesn't look that bad but I guess that would push your wheel out on one side even if lugs are tight. I dunno.

But I mean, is that really rear camber? What would cause that on a stock ride-height vehicle? It doesn't make sense to be caused by the wheels, unless it's what airjordan or I suggested, in my opinion.

That camber is awful.

Yea, thats the point of the entire thread. Maybe some intelligent input would help me fix it instead of just repeating what I already know. From going through all the old threads and seeing the way people talked to you I would assume that you had some pretty decent car knowledge, but I have yet to see anything.

Would anything specifc be broken that would give me the clunky suspension and the bad camber?

Struts and springs I am not too worried about as I would hope to do a full new suspension in summer or so. I don't think either one would cause any harm if I didn't fix them.

I'll pull the wheel off and double check it for spacers or debris on the car and on the wheel. Although that (or a cross threaded lug) should give me a wobbly wheel wouldn't it? And this problem is strictly the bottom sticking out further then the top.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Lets keep the ideas going so I can get this taken care of.

Yeah, you're right about the wobbly wheel feel with both those things. Plus, that would make a particular spot stick out more, not always the bottom, know what I mean?

I would take it to a place that does alignment checks. The shop I used to work at did them for free. They can look at it and tell what's wrong just visually sometimes, and they'll also take the measurements and give you a printout before you do anything. All it will cost you is time, usually.

Archived