Tire sizes and practicality

Xeryon

So I have a 95 Civic DX with original 185/70/13 tires and wheels. They ugly, spindly and have to go. After reading the following article I definately want to be more selective about what I put on it: Performance Tires Can Slow You Down

I have a line on some 15" 2000 Civic SI Alloy Rims without tires. First off, will they fit right? I thought that all Hondas from 90's somthing to 2000 or so were a universal 4x100 but I have not yet found anything specifically saying so. Does anyone know some weights on this OEM wheel? I know what my stock 95's are, but I need the weight on the 2000 SI rims. Doing an open google search for Honda SI Wheel Weights gets you alot of info, but nothing I could find on the 10 spoke si rims.

Tires for them: I used the following page Tire & Rim Calculator to try and find a tire that will fit the 15" SI wheel and as closely as possible match my stock circumference so it effects my speedo as little as possible. I end up with a 205/50/15. Any thoughts on if that will end up comprimising ride quality? Or look like azz?

Unless I am missing something, wheelweights.com sells balancing weights and doesn't provide weight of the rims themselves.

Are the stock 2000 civic si rims the same width as the 13in alloy rims that were stock on my 95 civic dx?

Wouldn't be much point in putting them on unless they provided a little more width. The only reason to use the stock si wheels was to retain an original style appearance.

Metric tire sizing is a lot simpler than most peole think. The first numbe (185, ect...) is the relative width in millimeters, just allow some minor variance for the manufacturers measuring practices. The second number is the aspect ratio; say it's a 70 series tire - the heigth of the sidewall would be 70% of the width. That's wy when going to a wider tire you have to go to a lower series tire to keep the same relative diameter. If you look on most tire manufatturers website it will also list the approximate effective diameter of the tire when mounted on a standard width (for the tire size) wheel. Wheel width will cause minor variances in the actual static tire heigth (when mounted). A wider diameter tire will improve the performance handling characteristics of the car. However, going to a lager diameter wheel will require a lower aspect ratio ("series") tire when trying to keep the overall tire heigth close to stock for proper speedometer operation. A lower profile tire (lower aspect ratio or "series") will also help improve cornering stability due to less felx in the tire sidewall. This same added sidewall rigidity will also caus a somewhat "harsher" ride due to the fact that tire sidewall flex acts to absorb shock (from uneven raod terrain ect..)

Metric tire sizing ...

Good info :thumbsup: , but already knew most of this. Was looking for examples or opinion on if 205/50/15 would work or not. Obviously it would work, but are the tires going to look like ballons or look good. Is a 50 aspect to thin or too tall on a 205/15. SSR said to bump down to 195, but hes the only one with any input so far.

I didn't do the math, but off the top of my head; seems like the 195/50 would keep closer to the corect heighth.

Going from a 70 to a 50 is about the right jump for a 2" increase in wheel size with a 180-190 tire width.

I believe the 195 would end up just slightly taller, where the 205/50 would be much taller.

Just a warning; sometimes 195/50's can ride like c**p!

I would go with the 195/50R15's, you'll appreciate the improved cornering and can probably learn to live with the stiffened ride!

And... +1 on the appearance factor

• 4 weeks later...

Archived