cheap power gain and a little concern

JPM335

I recently got a 2003 accord EX with 4 doors. Its a nice car, but really needs a little more go. I dont have much money or skills so I am looking for relatively cheap and easy things that will give me a little extra power, ie. a high flow air filter or something along those lines. Im sure this has been asked before but any help is greatly appreciated.

I also have a little concern. Whenever I pull the key out of the ignition after driving, its hot. After pulling it out the metal part of the key is warm/hot to the touch. Just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

go w/ what mycarsux said, but if you want to save more money...don't go for major brand exhaust.

going w/ a no-name exhaust will save you lots of money. i got my cat-back for 150. greddy, magna-flow, etc exhaust could run like $600.

go w/ what mycarsux said, but if you want to save more money...don't go for major brand exhaust.

going w/ a no-name exhaust will save you lots of money. i got my cat-back for 150. greddy, magna-flow, etc exhaust could run like $600.

go w/ what pd0019 said if you want your car to sound like a dying bee. of anything you should not cheap out on, it should not be your exhaust system. by going off brand with your exhaust system, ie ebay mandrel bent exhaust systems, your car will sound like crap. if you go and get custom piping done to your car, and get a muffler attached, sure youll save money, but you wont really gain much if any power, so because it will more than likely be crushed mandrel which is not good. so the 300 or so dollars youll be spending will be doing nothing but making your car sound nice. if your going to cheap out on something, cheap out on your intake. get an ebay cold air intake for less than 30 shipped. the difference between the ebay one and aem wont be much more than 1whp and the difference in price, 150 dollars.

go w/ what pd0019 said if you want your car to sound like a dying bee. of anything you should not cheap out on, it should not be your exhaust system. going with an off brand exhaust system will defeat the purpose of having the exhaust system in the first place. by going off brand with exhaust system, ie ebay mandrel bent exhaust systems, your car will sound like crap. if you go and get custom piping done to your car, and get a muffler attached, sure youll save money, but you wont really gain much if any power, so because it will more than likely be crushed mandrel which is not good. so the 300 or so dollars youll be spending will be doing nothing but making your car sound nice.

ouch.

if you have the money, get a greddy or magnaflow.

if you know what muffler to get (ie asking around you will know which ones sound good) and knowing what pipe size to get, you will get a system with a nice deep sound, not some crappy, high, dying, bee sound.

w/ headers and and intake, which is what i have btw, and a little research, you will get an exhaust with a nice deep sound along with the performance gain, which is what im sure your looking for.

i have a no-name and love it. i wouldnt recommend something unless i have experience with it.

remember: he said he wants to spend as little money as possible. personally, when i have little to no money, i cant afford some $600 dollar exhaust

ouch.

if you have the money, get a greddy or magnaflow.

if you know what muffler to get (ie asking around you will know which ones sound good) and knowing what pipe size to get, you will get a system with a nice deep sound, not some crappy, high, dying, bee sound.

w/ headers and and intake, which is what i have btw, and a little research, you will get an exhaust with a nice deep sound along with the performance gain, which is what im sure your looking for.

i have a no-name and love it. i wouldnt recommend something unless i have experience with it.

remember: he said he wants to spend as little money as possible. personally, when i have little to no money, i cant afford some $600 dollar exhaust

IMO custom pipe exhaust is expensive. it barely has any hp gains, and you spend 350 dollars if you dont have your own muffler. id rather spend 150 more and get mandrel bent from a company thats bends its exhaust to give me maximum hp gains.

Thanks for the responses. I think an air intake would be doable, but I dont know about the exhaust. I could probably scrape together $650 but I have never really worked on cars before and i'm not sure i could install an exhaust system. Plus I dont even have jackstands so I'm not sure how I could do it. Also this is my daily driver and i dont want a loud exhaust. This isnt going to be a race car, i just want a little more punch when im driving around.

Thanks for the responses. I think an air intake would be doable, but I dont know about the exhaust. I could probably scrape together $650 but I have never really worked on cars before and i'm not sure i could install an exhaust system. Plus I dont even have jackstands so I'm not sure how I could do it. Also this is my daily driver and i dont want a loud exhaust. This isnt going to be a race car, i just want a little more punch when im driving around.

well go to a custom pipe shop. get 2.25 inch exhaust piping and have em weld your stock muffler on and it will give you better flow. it will cost you 150. chip your ecu and that will give you more punch. idk how much that costs though.

This thread has more false info than I even know what to do with.

Utterly Ridiculous.

Well I have been reading some threads around here and you seem to know what you are talking about. Would you care to straighten everybody out?

AEM intakes are far better than Ebay ones, otherwise AEM wouldn't continue to put millions of dollars into research and development.

Secondly, DC makes a great Header. For the money, you can't beat it. Great welds, good quality, perfect fitment, comes with 02 Extension, and warrany with good power gains.

Finally, named brand exhausts. Same deal as AEM. If they were just bent piping then manufacturers wouldn't still be researching how to make more power. Everyone just shut up and buy a name brand or have a crapty car.

Kthnxbye.

AEM intakes are far better than Ebay ones, otherwise AEM wouldn't continue to put millions of dollars into research and development.

Secondly, DC makes a great Header. For the money, you can't beat it. Great welds, good quality, perfect fitment, comes with 02 Extension, and warrany with good power gains.

Finally, named brand exhausts. Same deal as AEM. If they were just bent piping then manufacturers wouldn't still be researching how to make more power. Everyone just shut up and buy a name brand or have a crapty car.

Kthnxbye.

hey i hate to contradict you of all people, but i simply stated for the money that ebay intakes are better. the overall hp difference between aem and ebay intake is soo small you prolly wouldnt feel it. i mean your average run of the mill intake doesnt even add 10 hp so why spend 190 bucks on an aem intake which has the best bends for maximum hp gainand spend 200 for like 5hp; when you can buy some intake from Mad Tyte JDM Yo on ebay for 50 bucks and make 4 hp.

Key is normal, its probably the light in your keyhole warming the key.

Intake(AEM), headers(DC Sports), and exhaust(Greddy)

nah get a K&N drop in instead of a AEM you'll save yourself like 150$ and youll get the same power gain. And dont get a Greddy, also over priced. Go for something more like apexi

I give up with you guys. You guys learn on your own.

haha yeah thank you

Greddy overpriced? wrong.

hey i hate to contradict you of all people, but i simply stated for the money that ebay intakes are better. the overall hp difference between aem and ebay intake is soo small you prolly wouldnt feel it. i mean your average run of the mill intake doesnt even add 10 hp so why spend 190 bucks on an aem intake which has the best bends for maximum hp gainand spend 200 for like 5hp; when you can buy some intake from Mad Tyte JDM Yo on ebay for 50 bucks and make 4 hp.

an intake wont gain you 10hp period. you wont get 4 with an ebay one either.

i/h/e will get you 10-15 hp

exhaust maybe 8, header 5, intake 2

haha yeah thank you

Greddy overpriced? wrong.

an intake wont gain you 10hp period. you wont get 4 with an ebay one either.

i/h/e will get you 10-15 hp

exhaust maybe 8, header 5, intake 2

so your saying youll spend 200 dollars to get the 2 hp off an aem cai. vs buying one on ebay for 50 bucks?

Although I am new to buying car parts, I have bought lots of other stuff. Bottom line is you pay crap prices you get crap, so I'm going to stay away from stuff on ebay that some guy is making in his garage. When I say I dont want to spend a lot of money, I mean I dont plan on doing anything major or expensive, not buying cheap things that pretend to be equal to something that costs 10x as much.

In any case, unless this is a bad idea, I think the first thing I'm going to do is buy a K&N filter and see how that goes.

aem is good if your willing to pay 200 for it. either way its 2-5hp no matter what kind of intake you have. and greddy exhausts for some cars is over priced it depends on which car your buying it for. Id be more worried about what kind of header and exhaust to get rather than an intake seeing as that is what your gonna get more power out of.

aem is good if your willing to pay 200 for it. either way its 2-5hp no matter what kind of intake you have...

thats how i saw it. i mean hands down aem actually designs their intakes for maximum flow rates to give you the maximum hp possible. all ebay intakes do is replicate the bends aem or injen etc, do. they just say aem has a 3 inch pipe and does a 30 degree bend 8 inches down the pipe and a 20 degree bend 6 inches down from that. they use crappy metal, and cheapo 1 dollar filters. which is why i agree that aem is better when it comes to hp gains, but for the money, you get something similar thats not as good, but it still gives you some power gain, power gain that IS less than aem, but not much less.

Archived