Really stupid question... But I want some advice

92civicEX

Hello, I am new to this place, and actually a fairly new owner of my car.

I have a pretty n00b-ish question for whoever is willing to answer, but it would be appreciated to get some advice. I drive a completely stock '92 civic EX sedan. So far the only thing I have done to it is visual. Anyway, I was wondering around about what RPMs to start at, and to shift at... and do no harm to anything. Whats safe to do... Around where should I be shifting. Right now I'm shifting right at 2.5k rpm, but that seems a little low to me. Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd say start around 2000 just to start out. and shift wherever is comfortable for you. i used to shift my 99 ex motor around 3800. don't go past your redline...keep it sensible. that'll get you started. and don't worry about asking stupid questions...everyone has to start somewhere.

i'd say start around 2000 just to start out. and shift wherever is comfortable for you. i used to shift my 99 ex motor around 3800. don't go past your redline...keep it sensible. that'll get you started. and don't worry about asking stupid questions...everyone has to start somewhere.

Hey, thanks a lot man. That helps. Yeah, I was starting around 1.5k and then like I said shifting at 2.5k. It all seemed pretty low. If I shift around 3.5 or more, it won't do any harm to anything, as long as I dont redline?

won't hurt a thing...like i said, just keep it sensible and have fun with it once in a while. i take mine to about 9000 every now and then...but i highly recommend not doing that with yours. hit vtec once in a while...if i'm not mistaken, your motor has vtec...someone correct me if i'm wrong

won't hurt a thing...like i said, just keep it sensible and have fun with it once in a while. i take mine to about 9000 every now and then...but i highly recommend not doing that with yours. hit vtec once in a while...if i'm not mistaken, your motor has vtec...someone correct me if i'm wrong

Nahh man I'm almost sure it doesn't. I don't know a whole lot about much. Like I said, just getting into all this, but I'm almost sure it doesn't have vtec engine. Doesn't say so on it at least.

my ex didn't say vtec on the valve cover, but it was still a vtec motor. i'm pretty sure you have vtec man

Wow, right on. Hopefully. Is there any way I could check? I hope nobody's annoyed that I know so little. Cool of you to help out though.

when your rpms get higher you will be able to notice the vtec 'kick in'

Woah, that's rad. Totally just made my day. I'll give it a try. thanks again! Around what Rpm does it "kick in" haha, I haven't taken it higher than about 3k so far.. I was under the impression I would hurt it if i did... good to be learning

i think its right around 4500 on your motor but im not positive. take it out for a drive, youll know when it engages

check this out if you want to learn about vtec

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?showt...=how+vtec+works

Woah, that's rad. Totally just made my day. I'll give it a try. thanks again! Around what Rpm does it "kick in" haha, I haven't taken it higher than about 3k so far.. I was under the impression I would hurt it if i did... good to be learning

you know my friend has a 95 ex, and its a z6, but i swear to god, i dont feel or hear the vtec kick in when i drive it. its an automatic, and its slow. like sloooooww! idk though, i shift my sol at 3k at first gear, and 2.5k all the way through, i think, its been over 2 months since ive driven it.

i think its right around 4500 on your motor but im not positive. take it out for a drive, youll know when it engages

check this out if you want to learn about vtec

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?showt...=how+vtec+works

usually on that motor vtec hits at like 4500 or 4600 my friend has the some motor, you would be fine taking it up to at least 6000 or 6500

u would have no problem takin the motor to 7k now and then just open the motor up. i don't realy know any1 that drives around keepin the car under 3k all the time. i usualy run mine up to about 4-6K and i've never had a problem with it.

Well i shift my civic HB Ex at 3000 when just cruising and in the trafic, but racing, i shift at 6000, somtimes at 6500 to get that 125 HP outta the engine...

do what you like, dont destroy the car if you dont have to...

Archived