Radar/lazer detection units?

Gil_87

Also, in my opinion, radar detectors aren't a whole lot of help unless they do jam the radar gun. They are legal here in Ohio, but many cops that I have spoken to around this part tell me even though they are legal, if an officer pulls you over and you have one you are basically guaranteed a ticket. I got rid of mine a few years ago, and have decided to stick a little closer to the limit. Radar detectors wouldn't really save me from a ticket, they'd only tell me when I was going to get one.

"I swear officer! I was a lot closer to the speed limit than I was to zero!"

-The words of my father-in-law (semi-driver)

When did they become illegal in Ohio? I have a bunch of family in Ohio and they've had radars in the past. My uncle is even the fire chief in his county and friends with all the highway patrol and has one. They weren't illegal when he had them. They are in canada though. He put a stealth radar in his truck. The sensors mount behind the front and rear bumpers and the lights are hidden behind his gauge console. He has a cabin in canada and didn't want the hastle of removing his radar.

When did they become illegal in Ohio? I have a bunch of family in Ohio and they've had radars in the past. My uncle is even the fire chief in his county and friends with all the highway patrol and has one. They weren't illegal when he had them. They are in canada though. He put a stealth radar in his truck. The sensors mount behind the front and rear bumpers and the lights are hidden behind his gauge console. He has a cabin in canada and didn't want the hastle of removing his radar.

I said they are legal. Or not illegal... You're allowed to have them, but it almost guarantees you a ticket is what I'm getting at, or at least from my own experiences and talking with law enforcement... Atleast in my part of Ohio (North Central)

Oh, I was going to say, I'm pretty sure they are legal in Ohio. Yeah, you're almost always garunteed to get a ticket if you get pulled over with one.

I got pulled over back when I had the del sol for going too fast through town. The cop heard me rev out to 8000 and came after me. I had my radar detector and it didn't go off so I knew he didn't shoot me. All he could get me on would have been exhibition of speed which is hard to stick in court because it's so subjective. He also could have gotten me if I had admitted to speeding, but I was very careful with my words and admitted to nothing. He ended up letting me off cause he knew he didn't have anything on me. He did comment on my radar though and said apparently I like to speed since I had it. I told him "no I just feel it's my civil right to know when you want to see how fast I'm going". I think he also knew where I worked when he ran my plates because his last comment was to watch how I'm driving and I should know better. THe "I should know better" could only come because of where I worked.

Sorry for rambling. Just a funny story that I've never told on here before.

yeah teh radar scrambler i read about was basically something that sent out a false signal. only problem is that radar gubs can be used on so many different frequencies that the do it yourself thing is pretty much useless cuz you can only use it on one set frequencey.

i saw this new radar on one of the shows on spike or speedvision. when you get shot, the radar 'catches' it, and counts down with LEDs and beeps for a few seconds, allowing you to slow down, then it sends your slowed speed back to the po po.

damn i need to learn to watch what i type it looks like i was on drugs or something in that last message. that would be good to have if you were somewhere where detectors and scramblers were illegal, otherwise it would just be easier to get a basic scrambler.

Yeah, it was in a 20 mph zone and I redlined in 1st and let off right after I shifted into 2nd so I was probably doing about 40 mph. I knew that he didn't know that though since my radar went off. Excessive Exhibition of Speed is what I was saying is subjective because who's to say how much is too much. There's no way of monitoring how excessive the acceleration is since it's purely an "opinion" of the officer.

Archived