Stupid NOOB question.Changing tire sizes

I have stock 14's on my car. I wanna go 16-17. Wouldnt this throw off my spedometer? Since the revolutions would change due to the increased wheel and tire size? So wouldnt it be 5-10 MPH off?

Yeah it will throw it off...

Im almost positive you can go to a dealership and have them plug it in to the computer and change the calculation for the speedometer.

Older cars had a little gear you would plug in somewhere to adjust that... not that it matters lol.

He doesn't know what he's saying. It will not throw off you speedo because you will go with a thinner tire. If you have a 14" wheel with a 60 series tire, then the overall diameter is probably around 22-24", if you go with a 16 and a 205/45 size tire, you will still have the same overall diamater and the same with a 205/40 with a 17" wheel. With each step larger in wheel size, you go one step thinner on tire size so the overall size is the same. I have 17's and my speedometer is right on. I run 205/40/17 tires.

He doesn't know what he's saying. It will not throw off you speedo because you will go with a thinner tire. If you have a 14" wheel with a 60 series tire, then the overall diameter is probably around 22-24", if you go with a 16 and a 205/45 size tire, you will still have the same overall diamater and the same with a 205/40 with a 17" wheel. With each step larger in wheel size, you go one step thinner on tire size so the overall size is the same. I have 17's and my speedometer is right on. I run 205/40/17 tires.

It changed mine like three or four mph... Granted I didnt drop 17s, I just put a bigger tire on my steelies.

So I went to the dealership and fixed it...

or if you want to be safe, get your speedometer calibrated.

Or if he wants it to be easy he could just make sure the wheel tire combo stays the same overall diamater. Of course, what do I know???.....that's only what 99% of the people do and only what tirerack, discounttiredirect etc...... suggest.

when the overall wheel diameter is changed , it throws your speedo off. whenever 17" wheels are put on a civic or teg it will throw it off. heres a true story to give you an example. last summer , i first got my 17's on (205/40/17). i went on a road trip for long drive leading the pack of 3 cars. i had my cruise set on 120kmh or approx 70 mph (speed limit here is 110 kmh or 65 mph. so we get to the first rest stop and the other 2 drivers of the other 2 cars were asking me why are you goin so slow , im like wtf man im doing 120. they said no your doin 110 the whole time. so the wheels threw my speedo off 10 kmh exactly or little over 5 mph. and thats fact.

when the overall wheel diameter is changed , it throws your speedo off. whenever 17" wheels are put on a civic or teg it will throw it off. heres a true story to give you an example. last summer , i first got my 17's on (205/40/17). i went on a road trip for long drive leading the pack of 3 cars. i had my cruise set on 120kmh or approx 70 mph (speed limit here is 110 kmh or 65 mph. so we get to the first rest stop and the other 2 drivers of the other 2 cars were asking me why are you goin so slow , im like wtf man im doing 120. they said no your doin 110 the whole time. so the wheels threw my speedo off 10 kmh exactly or little over 5 mph. and thats fact.

That's because on your year of civic, you should have a 215/45 to be the same size as stock. The overall diamater is slightly larger than the older hondas.

If the correct size tire is put on a larger wheel, the overall diamater won't change and your speedo won't be off. My speedo is exactly on with my 17's on the recommended sized tires.

• 2 weeks later...

If you change the overall diamater then it will change your gearing. A bigger combo will make it where you are going faster than your speedometer reads, and vice versa with a smaller combo. A bigger Overall Diamater will hurt your acceleration but help your top end. You shouldn't play with the sizes just to be faster though (unless for weight reasons)

Archived