Lowest Profile 17" Tires

Yeah, you really do sacrifice the ride quality with low-pros. I wouldn't go any lower than 205/45, but even that would take some convincing. I dunno what the ratio is on those tires they make for the 20" rims they got for mini coopers but they look like rubber bands. Must ride like hell.

i had 205/40 and im done with them. i bought BRAND NEW rims, had them on for a month, hit a good bump on the highway at 65, and BAM, bent the lip out like woah. 2 days later, flat tire.

even if i could bend it in its a weak spot. fawk.

going with 16's.

205/35's?!?!

Wow, I don't know if that's ballsy or just stupid. I'm leaning towards the latter.

I have a set of 215/40's.. and I would never go any lower.

Keeping the right tire pressure with a fluxuating temperature in a place like Texas is hard enough with 40, but good luck with 35.

i had 205/40 and im done with them. i bought BRAND NEW rims, had them on for a month, hit a good bump on the highway at 65, and BAM, bent the lip out like woah. 2 days later, flat tire.

even if i could bend it in its a weak spot. fawk.

going with 16's.

get higher quality 17's and maybe you wouldn't have had that problem.....pay now or pay later

i'm runnin 17x7" porsche twists on mine, 8) and do you think they will bend anytime soon in the near future....well maybe...if i'm in a wreck.

Speaking of which. What tire pressure should I be running in my 205/40/17's? Most tires say 32 lbs but didn't know if I should be running higher than that in a low profile tire.

don't go by what your tires say for maximum pressure, go by what your car manufacturer says you should inflate your tires to.

You can really run whatever pressure you want in your tires -- it's just kinda stupid. I think most hondas are a recommended 32 if I remember correctly, and that should be standard whatever profile tires you have on there. If you run them too highly pressurized them you'll just wear out the middle of the tread faster. Just check your manual, or the little sticker on the inside of your driver's door.

That's what I normally set mine to, but I think Honda recommends 32. I just do 35 out of habit since that's what we did tires to by default at my old job.

Edit: And, yeah, being right on/around the recommended inflation level will yield the best gas mileage. Otherwise, everyone would be rollin' on 60 PSI. Think about it: mpg is a selling point for cars, so don't you think that if you could get a few extra miles per gallon out of tires that were overinflated, then _that_ would be the recommended inflation level? It just wouldn't make business sense for car manufacturers to recommed something that would hurt their asking price.

Actually you'll get a little better mileage with over inflation but not enough to compensate wearing out your tires quicker. Think about it. If you over inflate your tires, then at 4000 rpms you'll be going 71 instead of 70, so every 70 miles, you'll get a free mile. Of course your speedo will be off. Inflation change will make a difference, but a very small difference. Honda doesn't do it from the factory, cause people's tires would wear out too fast and they would get a lot of complaints.

Archived