Newbie...

Hamburgler

Hello, i'm new here, i will be getting my licsense in a few months and i had some general questions...i'm looking into a civic for my first car, most likely and ex sedan. i was wondering of some mods that are cheap, and have some power gain if they are out there, i'm not looking to be a ricer, i just would be getting this car for its reliability and gas mileage, not to go fast but i still want some power...

thanks

b16 swap is kinda pricey for somebody who is 16. i should know cause i can't afford it :laugh: but yeah man, go with headers cai (cold air intake) and exhaust. put some wheels on it and drop it about 1.5 - 2.5 inches and your car will be hooked up pretty good.

why a sedan anyways? why not a coupe? just like 4-doors?

A B16 swap is feasible for a 16 year old. I just turned 16 and not including the money form the dogbite I have around 2,500. A B16A cost 2,900. A CAI and header isn't hooked up, those together add maybe 30hp if you get the best there is. The avg. ones together will add maybe 12hp.

hamburgler, are you Black Ford Lightning from the modifiers forum?

yeah 4-doors are a lot cheaper on insurance. i think my insurance is like 30 something dolla's extra for the 2-door. it sux :sad: but the car is a lot sexier in my opinion :wub:

as for the b16 swap. you have to factor in the price of the car. my car cost me 4 grand (got a deal...blah blah blah) and i just finished paying it off. it took me a few months to get it paid off but i finally did it just last week...i'm happy. also, not only do you have to factor in the money for the car, the engine itself..but you also have to factor in the price of the swap. most 16 year olds down have the time, or experience to do a swap. i know i sure as hell dont have the time, and i wouldn't take my chances on a swap just yet. but to keep the price down on this swap lets not factor in the labor costs.

what are we up to.....6900? i think...next is freight. how much does it cost to ship a engine now-a-days? at least like...200 dollars right? lets just round this all off to 7 grand cause its an easier number to do math with. now...i make 6.75 an hour, and get an average of 20 hours a week. whip out the ole calculator and.....thats about 135 dollars a week. we'll say 125 cause thats what i got on my last paycheck after taxes and crap (i worked more than 20 hours last week though..)....sooo...how much a month: $500

at that rate its gonna take....14 months to save up and get 7 grand. 14 MONTHS!!!!!! and we didn't even factor in living costs. 20 on gas a week, 30 or so on food (gotta eat something on break while at work...), and whatever else. i'd say that by the time a 16 year old saved up enough money for a swap he'd be 17 or older.

damn this ninja is gettin good :ninja:

I started working last summer when I was 15. Working full time I made a little over 1,600. Work full time through the summer, save all the money you make, and you will have enough. Cost of living? Do you have to pay rent?

My posse strikes :ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

i dont' know what the labor laws are in your state...but in my state a minor (anyone under 18) can't work more than 25 hours in a school week. and minors can't work full time either...summer or not. i think during the summer a minor is only allowed to work 35 hours a week.

at 15 you can't work more than 20 hours a week...summer or not. you can't work more than 2 and a half hours without a break (16 and 17 you can work 3 hours without a break).

cost of living...i meant gas, food, girls, and misc stuff that you might buy. no rent, but if you get a car you have to buy gas... :crazy:

you made 1600 in a whole summer...thats it? and supposedly working full time (even though you can't do that in my state...maybe your state's different)

don't abuse the ninja by using him a thousand times :ninja:

First, it's HEADER not headerS.

The sedan is a good choice, IMO. After hatches, they're my favorite basic civic models (basic as in coupe, sedan, hatch... obviously i prefer the crx/sol when it comes to civics or i'd own something else).

Anyway, unless you only plan to get the shell and buy a motor separate, as someone else mentioned, I'd hold off on the b16, seeing how unless you have a real good hookup or get a hot motor, you won't be getting it with the cash you have. the cheapest i've seen them for, aside from the price a friend gave my bf, is about 1500-1600...

Get the basic bolt ons... aem cold air, header, and exhaust. If you want to improve the handling, go for the wheels and drop springs, but if corners don't concern you right now, there's really no need.

I personally think the best thing to do is get the car and well if you have to make payments just concentrate on that and insurance. And when you get yourself well stabalized then modify the car. Don't rush yourself into something that maybe later on you might change your mind and would want something else. I mean you're still young and you change your mind quickly about something. Just try to make the right decision.

• 1 month later...
b16 swap is kinda pricey for somebody who is 16.  i should know cause i can't afford it  :laugh: but yeah man, go with headers cai (cold air intake) and exhaust.  put some wheels on it and drop it about 1.5 - 2.5 inches and your car will be hooked up pretty good. 

why a sedan anyways?  why not a coupe?  just like 4-doors?

me personally you got kids...if not i would go with the coupe.....i have a sedan but if i had a choice i would go for the coupe...they look sleeker..

i dont know how wwell it would work but did u think about a cat back exhaust???.....

Archived