cotton and subs

import142

i am gonna make a custom fiberglass enclosure for my subs and i was wondering 2 things. how is the easiest way to make the enclosure because ive heard of so many ways to do it and if i stuff cotton in with my subs would it make it hit harder or sound better?

The cotton then you are refering to is generally called polyfill and it is used in situations where the sub needs more airspace than the box can provide. You can find it in cheap pillows at Kohls and walmart. From my limited understanding, bass creates a wave that is really long. If your box doesn't have the room for that bass wave to travel, your music would suffer. The polyfill helps slow down the wave, giving the illusion that the wave is traveling a longer distance.

As far as building a fiberglass enclosure, I have no clue. You going for all show?

Fiberglass is good for stealth boxes too. Unless you are experienced with laying fiberglass, a steatlh box would be the biggest task I would reccommend. Getting fiberglass to from into a nice looking finished product is a pretty hard task.

+1

Making a fiberglass box sounds tough! Anyone that said it was easy must have some experience. As for the cotton, just make the right size box. Cotton works, but not as good as people say. It's more for a truck box that physically can't be large.

i helped my brother build two boxes. the first one had four subs in the back of his rx7 and it got jacked 2 weeks after we finished it. it took us most of the summer. the second one we built was just 2 subs, and it took about a week. its not that hard once you get used to it. using fleece helps so much. its a lot easier to work with and get the form that you want. after the resin dries its very strong, but we still used fiberglass for strength.

putting cotton in a box is to kill the reverb effect and make your bass notes "cancel out" in a shorter distance. in most cases your subs notes will cancel out in about 6 to 8 feet. so if your subs are facing forward that means your notes are cancelling out outside the car. this is why most people face thier subs rearward. the notes in essence reverb or bounce off the car and come forward and cancel out in the passenger cabin.

Archived