Tire Question

Nicodemus

All right, thanks. I asked because I was in desperate need of tires and had no cash so I had to use a store card to get some tires, and it was the closest size they had in stock. I haven't noticed any rubbing in good bumps or sharp turns, so I think they'll be fine. If I notice anything, I'll make them change 'em.

On ice you want a narrow tire at high pressure so more weight will be applied to a smaller area for better traction. On snow you want a wide soft tire that will distribute the weight across a bigger area. Think about snow shoes and ice skates.

I have 185/65-R14 studded tires on my Civic and they get me through nasty Idaho winters without a problem.

Okay, perhaps you guys misunderstood what I posted....

My right rear tire (was front, then was rotated) was almost to wire. The other three had irregular wear pattern and damn near bald in some spots due to imbalanced wheels, underinflation, and poor alignment from the previous owner. I was ABSOLUTELY DESPERATE for new tires. I didn't have any cash, but I did have a Sears card, and that was the closest they could get for me. It's a done deal, so there's no point in suggesting different tires.

As for them looking like crap, they don't. I think I'll be the judge of what looks like crap on my car because it's my car. I don't auto-x, so the handling doesn't make that much of a difference, and in 6 months I'll be having a kid in the car so good traction is a big thing for me, regarless of whether they "look crap."

Oh, and by the way, I went under one of those things at a construction site that tells you your speed, and assuming it's accurate, my speedo is 1/2-1 mph off. So I think I can deal with that.

All I know is that the car now rides like new (they gave it an alignment)

And 185/60's? The stocks are 185/65's, so it's not like there's THAT much difference.

They work for now, and when I get the money up for new wheels, then obviously I'll have different tires then. I just wanted to make sure they weren't going to cause any damage. I wasn't asking for reasons why I was dumb for having them.

Archived