Key Immobilizor

CivicGirl

Ok as some of you know the ECM went out on my 01 Civic a couple months back. I now have the new ECM for it. Put it in and now the damn car can't read the key. Some sort of security crap I suppose. Does anyone know how to bypass this lil prob without long term problems on the car?

All advise is welcome!

Thanks

Well I've got ideas but don't really know so I didn't respond. I'm sure you know that your key has a chip in it that the computer reads to make sure it's the right key. Sounds like the new ecm is programmed for a different chip which would make sense. I'd say you'll either need to get your key reprogrammed for the new ecu or have honda install a new chip in it. I would call a honda dealer and ask them if they can reprogram your key for the new ecm.

I agree. the dealer will have to reprogram. gonna cost a few bucks probably.

w/ the element, if we lose a key, we must go through the dealer and pay $400 to replace :(

In the civic, when i replaced the ignition, i bought it and paid $20 to have it keyed to match my current keys.

Yeah I do know that the key has a chip in it and the old ecm was programmed for it! I know the new one isn't. Honda said as long as the old ecm wasn't completely destroyed that they would charge me $200 just to download the codes from the old to the new. I was hoping there was a way around all that without messign up the car even more!

grrr

Archived