Launch and shiftpoints.....

88si

Sorry if this has been posted before but im having problems with the search thing on this site for some reason.

What is the best rpm to launch a stock 88 si? and whats the best rpm to shift at? Oh and if i were to swap a b16a, then what would i launch and shift at?

I have a B16 and there is no reason to not hit redline. I shift at 8000. This motor lacks torque badly so you want to rev as high as possible to keep the power up. Redline it in every gear with a B16 to get the most power out of it.

Plus you want to shift at redline in a B16 because you want to make sure you don't drop out of vtec when you shift.

As far as launching your car, it depends on so many factors that nobody can just tell you what to launch at. You just have to go out and test your setup and see what the best rpm is. For example, the type of tires you are running would change your launch completly.

yeah but i know people who have a LS swap and hate it ... B16 transmissions are among the best ... and ls are like dx, you are in third gear pushing 110 ... but i mean everyone has something that thye like ... but im thinking b16 and eventually build for turbo ... im not planning on getting turbo for a while

im trying to save money ... not blow 5 thousand ... if i was going to blow 5 thousand then i would do k20 .... rsx type s motors in sol's pull ... but im not spending that kind of money right now ... us seniors in high school aren't necessarily loaded with dough

i am calm .. no worries ... i was just being sarcastic ... but k20 swaps are pricey .. but quick ... i would imagine they would be fast at hell ... although when tuned correctly, b16 turbos cant put out some serious power - Turbo Magazine had one featured running 605 WHP

your tires have everything to do with your launch. remember though, you don't want to have a bunch of wheel spin and then just bog down. wheel spin is alright as long as you take off well. I have launch control set at about 5500rpm. my current tires will just spin, but with some nice drag radials I'll get a good launch.

Archived