Low power, bad acceleration

a_l_e_x1

Hi everyone.

Got a question, didn't find anything relevant on this forum about it.

I got a 97 Civic EX (4 doors, automatic). The acceleration sucks big time. The car kindda revs to about 4k RPMs, but dosn't accelerate too fast. I'm being "done" by any other car on circulation lights, even when I'm alone in it, and the other driver doesn't try to compete :(

Also, I can't seem to go past 160KM/H, and getting form 150 to 160 takes forever (like a minute, or so). Can't go past 160 though, the gas pedal is completely depressed, but it just won't go past it (just stays around 158-160).

Another thing I noticed is that when I go slowly (like 40-50 KM/H), when I release the gas pedal, the car starts breaking (I can feel it). When I press gas again, it starts accelerating, but releasing it again maks it breaking again. I had my breaks checked by a mechanic, he said that they'r fine.

I changed fuel filter, distributor, rotor, 4 tires. Tested timing, seems to be OK.

Sorry about a long post, but it just that it bothers me...

I will try whatever you suggest.

Thanks for your replies,

Alex

I will try whatever you suggest.

pee in your gas tank. j/k dont really. do a compression test and post up the numbers. does it burn any oil? does it smell like gas when you drive it? is there a check engine light on?

1. It's an auto. Of course it is slow.

2. It's an auto. Of course it has no top end speed.

3. It's an auto, when you let off the gas, it will brake.

4. It's an auto sedan. Of course accelaration above 100mph sucks.

i say do some weight reduction, put an intake, header-back exhaust system, and change oil and start using mid grade fuel.

it will make you run better and feel better..

or you could sell that one for about 3k and get a civic 2dr 5spd and you'll be happier.

Thanks for your suggestions...

I was about to do a compression test. Also, I'm due for an oil change too. Air filter is kindda dirty (black instead of green).

No, it doesn't burn oil and it doesn't smell gas. Check engine is not on.

I'd pee in the tank, but what neighbours would think ;) j/k

I know someone with an Altima 4dr automatic, 94. It accelerates kindda good (much better than me, and it's stock too).

Can't sell it. First, I love i too much for that and I just bought it end-June :D

BTW, this car isn't worth 3k...much higher (well, here at least). I got it for 6500 and it was a REALLY great deal.

So, what I plan to do next:

Change oil + filter

Change air filter

Check compression

Alex

well it seems like a good find..

i havent ever been to can. so i dont really know.

hope you get the accel. fixed. 4 doors are actually really nice. not much worse than straigh shift. just less hassle but 5 spd is just more fun.

OK people, just wanted to share the progress of my problem.

I bought a new air filter and changed it. Also, I went to a mechanic and changed my oil.

I was able to get to 170KM/H (and probably could've gone more, but there were too many cars :D)

Anyways, thanks to everyone who responded.

I'm gonna look into CAI and headers now :D

i dont know, never had an auto.. but im guessing roughly estimating....

150 for the tranny used

clutch pedel, shift linkage, manuel center console and shift boot + shift knob. lets see what else.. clutch fluid cylinder. idont know what else but totals about 800?

It's easy.

trans 300

clutch MC/slave/lines 300-400

Clutch/flywheel 510 (get the good stuff while you're at it)

pedal assembly 150'ish

Trade for a stick.

so about 1250-1350ishh

if i was them id trade it for stick

Yea, that's what I was told at mechanic's. About 1500-2000 CAN (about 1200-1700 US).

Usually, it's not recomended to put a manual on automatic (senseless, you can just sell it and buy a manual, less expensive).

Thanks for your replies though, very informative :D

Lol, the gas here, in Canada, is about 3.45$ US per gallon (regular) and 3.55$ US per gallon (supreme).

sry for being so late to this butttt i swaped trannys in a delsol....it was around 1850.. but i did most of the work myself soo it was even 1/2 that..well worth it but dont do what i did...swap it then sell it it was stupid.

Archived