black suede

so over the summer i finally had time to get rid of the grey in my car and cover it with black suede.

started off by taking the parts off, and cleaning them. then sanded them lightly with 600 grit i think. then clean again. trace out a piece of suede big enough, spray adhesive to both the suede and panel, then work it like missy.

DSC08748.jpg

DSC08749.jpg

DSC08750.jpg

DSC08751.jpg

this tiny piece that the seat belt goes through was a big ol bitch, but it was definitely worth it

DSC08752.jpg

DSC08763.jpg

DSC08747.jpg

DSC08773.jpg

DSC08776.jpg

DSC08777.jpg

still need to paint the visors black but theyre like a weird rubber so thats on hold at the moment

DSC08780.jpg

DSC08789.jpg

DSC08792.jpg

black suede and red velvet, mmm

DSC08790.jpg

DSC08791.jpg

so for the backs of the pieces, i had to use super glue because the spray was too much of an angle. the problem is that super glue bleeds through the suede so its hard to hold it in place without getting your finger glued to it.

DSC08787.jpg

ow

DSC08788.jpg

DSC08786.jpg

i still have to do the side panels for the roof where the handles are, but i probably should buy some extra panels because there are so many curves to it. also im going to paint the speaker grills, door handles and visors black so everything on the interior is red and black.

thanks man.

thats what we get for sun visors in the US. big and bulky, actually fairly heavy for what they are, and only the small part flaps down, they dont swing to the side like yours do either :sad:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Airjordan has my favorite sol I've ever seen, mostly because of all the time he puts into the little touches.

By the way, EH6, it was sick as hell. I'll make a GD post soon with all my favorite pictures that I chose last night.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Airjordan has my favorite sol I've ever seen, mostly because of all the time he puts into the little touches.

By the way, EH6, it was sick as hell. I'll make a GD post soon with all my favorite pictures that I chose last night.

thanks a lot man, ive put a lot of work into this car, and most of it is stuff that ive never seen on a sol before as well. i have another surprise that i did over the summer that ive never seen on any car before, but i dont have pics, just videos, hehehe. id definitely be down for a trip to help you out with that and do the seat swap, probably next summer though

the suede went on a lot better than the velvet because i could use more spray adhesive since it wouldnt bleed through. you basically just keep working the fabric until you get it how you like it. and if you screw up, just rip it off, sand the spray off and start again. there is some way to stretch suede, but i think you need a special steamer or something because ive seen guys cover entire dashes with one piece and its perfect.

if you use vinyl, you can just use a hair dryer and heat it up and the fabric stretches really easily.

one question, whats with the weird sun visors? mine certainly don't look like that!

Yea, the OEM USDM Sol vizors suck. They are like that because of some US safety spec that the roof of the sol wasn't ridgid enough. They attach to the car with 5 or 6 really large bolts too. A real bitch to get off.

A friend of mine has the JDM vizors. I would recommend getting those as they are much nicer and they would look much better with your decked out interior.

I have seen a few were they use expensive designer patterns for this kind of stuff, I have my own idea and I am most likely going to follow up shortly! Yours looks good though! I will probably pay to have mine done professionally so if crap starts to come apart on me, I flip.

Archived