Help....clunking noise.

CleanGSR

My car started making a clunking noise (not real loud, but noticable) when ever I take off or when I hit the brakes. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the car and it only clunks once when taking off or once when stopping. Actually any shift in momentum will make it clunk, like downshifting, accelerating, braking, etc. I have no idea what it is and the car doesn't drive any different than before the noise. Anybody have any ideas on what the problem could be?

if you bring it to a shop, you can have one of the mechanics test drive it and they will tell you for sure if its the axles or not. my friend had a similar sound in his car and i told him it was the axles but his mom was bitchin b/c she wanted him to bring it to cherry tire for them to double check. the guy backed the car up, pulled back in the spot, and was like yep your axles are shot.

Yeah, I already checked my lugnuts and motor mounts and it's not either of those. I took it by to a local mechanic that I trust and had him drive it and listen. He said that he doesn't think it is anything with the axles. He said it sounds like a bushing is going out and he could put it on his rack sometime to look for it. He told me if it gets worse then bring it back but if not that I shouldn't waste my money having him search for a semi-bad bushing.

FIXED!!!!! Wierd one.... So I was taking off my front passenger wheel and noticed something. The lug nuts were not all the way down in the holes. They had caught the tiny little lip down inside the hole instead of going inside the lip. They were tightened down, just not centered so the wheel was slipping even though the lugnuts were tight. I took all the lugnuts out and retightened them making sure that they were centered and whoala....clunking sound is gone. Thanks for everyones advice.... I feel kinda stupid that it was something so simple.

Archived