I know you don't want back pressure w/ a turbo, let the beast breath. But I want to do exhaust first. I'm trying to do all the other stuff first, like pistons and rods (maybe cams), and intake, and exhaust. Plus I wanna built my own turbo kit, so I'll just put it on when I have everything.

An exhaust, pistons, rods, cams, intake, will cost you as much or more than a decent turbo setup and a built engine with the above parts won't get you nearly as much hp as a turbo on a stock bottom end. Plus, you won't be wasting money on parts that you won't use when you turbo like an intake and the 2.5" exhaust.

To answer the original question. Yes the muffler will affect tone...but there is little difference between baffle types and straight through types within their respective catagories. The catalytic converter is probably doing more to quiet your exhaust than the muffler anyway. You'll find more noise switching to a high flow cat (or none at all) than swapping to a different muffler. As far as which is best...that depends, on a lot. There is not much power to be gained as it is until you uncork you intake side of things. A basic high quality catback will get you as much power as you will reasonably see without cutting lowend torque. High flow cat? Can do that...will be much louder and you'll be getting the crackle and pop when you lift off the gas pedal if you like that sound. If you are going turbo, you can do a system from the headers back then when you install the turbo fit in a cutout. You can have a mechanical or electric cutout you can activate when needed then close it for normal driving. There is actually a cutout that is boost referenced...meaning it senses boost and opens accordingly. Expensive but worth checking out.

By personal experience, I disagree about the high flow cats being loud. I just installed a high flow cat on my car earlier this week and I didn't notice any difference in loudness and it doesn't crackle and pop when I let off of it. The only difference in sound is that I can hear my intake better now.

You put in a high flow cat and you can hear your intake better... omg

Must be one of those oddball things...what brand cat? I usually use Magnaflow if cats are required. I've tuned the emissions system out of my truck...no EGR or cats... :D

yea... but I have to have the turbo and the exhaust put in at the same time, don't I? because the turbo header has to have the right exhaus to match up w/ and everything. Anyway, Thats prolly gonna happen next summer, can I still drive it in the winter? and the mone issues aren't improving as I still owe $5000 to various ppl. thanks for the info everybody, I've still got a lot to figure out so every bit helps.

You put in a high flow cat and you can hear your intake better... omg

Must be one of those oddball things...what brand cat? I usually use Magnaflow if cats are required. I've tuned the emissions system out of my truck...no EGR or cats... :D

Yeah, it's wierd. But for some reason I can hear the intake sucking in air a lot more with the high flow cat. Mine is just one of the ones off ebay. It's basically just a straight through resonator. So, the resonator kind of acts like a muffler to help keep it quiter. Obviously I won't pass emissions, but they don't do emissions checks around here and my car is OBD-1 so no check engine light.

yea... but I have to have the turbo and the exhaust put in at the same time, don't I? because the turbo header has to have the right exhaus to match up w/ and everything. Anyway, Thats prolly gonna happen next summer, can I still drive it in the winter? and the mone issues aren't improving as I still owe $5000 to various ppl. thanks for the info everybody, I've still got a lot to figure out so every bit helps.

You don't have to do the turbo and exhaust at the same time. The part that connects to the exhaust is the downpipe coming off the turbo. You'll just have to have that welded to your exhaust near the front of the cat.

If you know somebody who can weld, then I've got a solotuion. I've seen on ebay, auctions selling 3" manderal bent exhaust piping. It comes with a certain amount of 90 degrees, 45 degrees, and straight sections. If you or someone you know can weld, you could purchase that and cut and weld your own custom exhaust. I believe the auctions were only about 200.00 and then buy a good name brand muffler, you could have the entire custom exhaust for probably 500.00.

Archived