I am getting a high-flow cat and 2.25" piping, but I was wondering if the muffler affected the sound a lot. I want something deep, but I'm not going over 2.5" piping. Right now I'm thinking Apexi N1. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

i have always wondered about wether or not the "mufflers" make any diffrence in sound because they all look the same and dont look like they would really change the pitch or anything.

They may look the same but it's in the quality of what it's made with. When you look inside a muffler all you see is crap loads of little holes. It's whats on the other side of those holes that matters. It's the piping as well. If you have too big of a muffler with stock piping it'll be real buzzy. Just go from header all the way back for the best sound.

• 3 weeks later...

I take it thats what you have? anyway, The exhaust guys here don't have a machine to mandrel bend it, so I'm gonna order a full system minus the header, because I'm planning on Turbo. Any different suggestions? I jsut want to know what is good.

Thats what I hear... but I can't find any good systems larger than 2.5, and I will loose power when I don't have the turbo on yet, wont I? because its gonna be a while before I get turbo.

Thats what I hear... but I can't find any good systems larger than 2.5, and I will loose power when I don't have the turbo on yet, wont I? because its gonna be a while before I get turbo.

then don't spend money on any aftermarket exhaust until you go turbo.

yea I know. Thanks. 2.5" isn't that bad if I'm not goin over 10-15 psi, I don't think, but its soooo damn expensive for a 3" exhaust, and I want it to sound nice now. But I know your right, I'm just in denial I guess. I just hate waiting and saving.

yea I know. Thanks. 2.5" isn't that bad if I'm not goin over 10-15 psi, I don't think, but its soooo damn expensive for a 3" exhaust, and I want it to sound nice now. But I know your right, I'm just in denial I guess. I just hate waiting and saving.

any muffler shop can bend a 3" exhaust for you....

yea, and I don't think it would sound good. I think Im just gonna get a 2.5" and then change it after turbo, because turbo could be like in a year or two if ever.

or you could get yourturbo setup sooner if you don't waste money on an exhaust that won't be beneficial.

open downpipe is not that loud people.

ok. How big of a difference will a half an inch make, anyway? I mean, I want a 3" exhaust, but its just hard for me to get one without paying at least 1000 here, becaust it has to be ordered, and I can't get a credit card to order online. plus I got my friend sayin its not that much different if I'm not boosting over 17psi. btw, wont an open downpipe be bad for my engine, because its not enough backpressure, and plus it sounds like crap. I had to run my other one like that for a little while because I stripped the bolts on the muffler.

wait- you're right.... I am going to have to have a 3" full exhaust anyway, since the trubo header won't work with the bolt lineup on a 2.5" exhaust anyway, they don't have 4 holes. back to square 1. fawk. I'm never gonna be able to afford the exhaust and the turbo. Plus I gotta get a 3" downpipe, but thats not too expensive. Thanks for the help tho

ok. How big of a difference will a half an inch make, anyway? I mean, I want a 3" exhaust, but its just hard for me to get one without paying at least 1000 here, becaust it has to be ordered, and I can't get a credit card to order online. plus I got my friend sayin its not that much different if I'm not boosting over 17psi. btw, wont an open downpipe be bad for my engine, because its not enough backpressure, and plus it sounds like crap. I had to run my other one like that for a little while because I stripped the bolts on the muffler.

dude, with a turbo, you don't want back pressure. running open downpipe sounds fine. I dare say you'll boost over 10psi though.

I know you don't want back pressure w/ a turbo, let the beast breath. But I want to do exhaust first. I'm trying to do all the other stuff first, like pistons and rods (maybe cams), and intake, and exhaust. Plus I wanna built my own turbo kit, so I'll just put it on when I have everything.

Archived