Calling All Comp Nerds.....

ever since i dl'ed the latest aim (5.0) my comp has been acting funny. it freezes up on me all the time now. sometimes i get a pop up that says something like, "your low on resources".....some crap like that... i told a friend about it and he said just go to "system tools" and click on "scan disk" and "disk cleanup." i did both of those and its still freezing up on me!!! i wanna grab a bat and start swinging at it....its buggin the sh*t outta me!! any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

by the way drew, thats the reason i left aim. it froze on me for no frickin reason! :mad:

oh and another thing, don't you notice how dead it is when i dont post here in the off topic board?! :D i was holding back on posting ever since drew posted that one thread. im still holding back though...

First off, I would suggest you clean out all your spy ware and ad ware by getting a program called AdAware that can be found at cnet.com, that will free up a lot of your resources, also go through add/remove programs in your control panels and take out anything in there that you don't use, Run defrag, it will take a long time to run but it will free up a lot of your space if you are getting that error, then take out anything in Start | Programs | Startup that you don't want starting with your computer, a lot of those programs will chew up valuable ram... let me know if this didn't help

here's what you do.

alt+ctrl+del (press altogher), click on the processes tab and click on which programs that you dont really need. that way you can free some processing power and make it more efficient.

or

if you have windows ME, make your OS to windows 98se, windows 2000, or windows XP.

98 is the best of the fat32 partition run os's but if you want a solid strong OS go with win2k or XP, they both can run on an NTFS partition which is much more stable... have you loaded adaware yet? also, try uninstalling and reinstalling aim... what kind of computer do you have, how do you connect to the internet?

you all lost me long time ago but anyway, i found some answers. my computer only freezes when im on AIM!! i can surf the net and be on yahoo messenger and it'll be fine. i can get on aim and chat for a good ol.......id say....5-10 min into it and it'll start freezing up. i can recieve im's from other people but thier message wont show.....just the im box only. its weird.... got any answers??

i was thinking since my friend hasn't upgraded to the new AIM yet, is it possible for him to copy his old version of aim onto a floppy disk and i can uninstall this aim and install the one on the disk?????

Are you running the beta releases or just full releases?

strider: how can i dl the older versions of aim? its not available on aol.com no more. well......i couldn't find it anywhere on the site... can i dl it from a friend onto a disk, who has the old version, and upload it onto my comp??

how do i find out which release im using b/c i have no idea.

one way to find out is to uninstall your current version through add/remove programs and then reinstall with their current final release version of aim, if the problem persists I am sure I can find you 4.8 or lower

Go to your AOL Instant Messenger Buddy List. Click on 'File' on the file menu of the window, then point your mouse onto 'Help'. Now select 'About AOL Instant Messenger' (after the drag-down menu expands when pointing to 'Help' in the 'File' menu.)

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Archived