Lagging to start

Christi

I have a 2009 Honda Accord. Few months ago it started lagging to start. One day it wouldn’t start so I had a friend change out the battery and it started right up. Few days later I had my battery put back in it and it started fine. Had a friend look and he said starter was bad. I drove the car all summer with no issues starting. Recently it started lagging to start. Is there something besides the starter or battery (mine tested good ) that could be causing this? 

Scan the car's computer; it should tell you what is wrong. These days an app on your iphone or android and a plug-in scanner with wifi, will show you how your car is feeling. Or you can have the mech do it... Sounds like your starter is working, your battery is working, then take it from there. Ignition, fuel filter, fuel pump, at least it starts right? ;-)

Probably a nice auto parts store person will scan your car for free if you want to try that. If your car eventually starts, it shows you the ignition is working mostly.. So then I'm thinking fuel pump and fuel filter are most obvious problems to check. It can also be silly things, like computer is running a check on other problems, delays starting the car. Stupid stuff like that.

Edited by Jeff Papineau

• 10 months later...

Now that I read this again; sounds like you have a parasitic circuit that is draining your battery (which older batteries don't like) and it may fry your battery if you don't find it. So a $30 clamp-on current meter will show you what all wires are drawing while car is off, key out of ignition (with a charged battery, get a 3-4amp trickle charger), and then you can get it down to one removed fuse by finding the circuit that is drawing power while the car is off; then the parasitic draw should go away, no more battery problems. Track down the problem that way.

Edited by Jeff Papineau

• 11 months later...
On 10/22/2020 at 12:56 AM, Jeff Papineau said:

Scan the car's computer; it should tell you what is wrong. These days an app on your iphone or android and a plug-in scanner with wifi, will show you how your car is feeling. Or you can have the mech do it... Sounds like your starter is working, your battery is working, then take it from there. Ignition, fuel filter, fuel pump, at least it starts right? 😉

Probably a nice auto parts store person will scan your car for free if you want to try that. If your car eventually starts, it shows you the ignition is working mostly.. So then I'm thinking fuel pump and fuel filter are most obvious problems to check. It can also be silly things, like computer is running a check on other problems, delays starting the car. Stupid stuff like that.

So can you tried it, if yes what's your experience. Please share it, it will be helpful for everyone. 

Edited by annijonn