Car isnt starting

monkeyman

Hey, i have a 91 honda accord lx manual and i am having troubles geting the car started. it is turning over really strong but its not starting up. i have tried to let it sit thinking maybe it had gotten flooded but that isnt it, the battery is fairly new. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Since the car is cranking fine you have to figure its NOT the battery. Check to see if you have gas next, and if so, check for a spark at the coil and spark plug wires.

Do this by disconnecting a spark plug wire at the spark plug and stick a metal wire into the plug boot and have the metal wire almost touch any metal on the engine then have someone crank the engine and look for a spark. NOTE: Be careful you are NOT touching the metal wire or engine while the car is cranking, otherwise you will get a nice shock.

there is over a half a tank of gas in there, i will try that to test the coil and all. i will have to do that tomorrow or something tho cause the car is not at my house right now. if that isnt it could there be any other possible problems? i appreciate your help

If it still fails to start after going through rspeach's advice, try a generous dousing of your carburetor with a carb cleaner. Wait for about 10 minutes before you start the car. If this still fails, try replacing the fuel filter located at the left rear wheel well. That is, if you haven't replaced the fuel filter since day one. Hope this helps.

I had a similar problem but, If figured it out.

Anwser these questions. And take some advices.

1. Was the car running fine before it didn't want to start?

2.Don't keep cranking it if its not starting, it will burn the coil out.

3.Try having it push started. Then ask the people who are behind the car pushing it do they smell gas or see any smoke comming out the muffler.

4.Turn the key all the way but not to try to start it. listen to hear if the fuel pump turns on, then try to crank it to here if the pump works pump only starts to pump only when you turn the crank it (listen hard) its a whirring noise.

5. Take out your spark plugs are they black as hell if so there burnt out.

6.Read 1-5.

• 2 weeks later...

do it like this. if the test with the sparks its ok then go to the fuel line. open the fuel line on top of the engine crank the engine and see if fuel comes out. the fuel pomp rl too. does the starter crank ok or just makes some tic tic noise. mmmm that is all i belive

doesn't always work this way, but usu. you will notice a problem with your car dying or lights dimming or battery not charging before you realize a problem with the alternator. With three cells to an alternator, it is kind of doubtful that all three would go out at the same time and that only the battery would be turning the engine then... doesn't help with the problem, just thought I'd throw that out there.

BTW, doesn't hurt to change out your plugs unless you just did, always a good thing to have working correctly. Try making sure your AC and stuff is off when you are trying all their stuff, gives you that extra charge you just may need. Good luck

Go figure, after having made my post on thurs. night, friday after school i had the same problem EXACTLY. First off, the car started normally then died about five seconds later. Everything electrical works, turns strong, not fuel pump or fuel filter either... if you found the answer to your problem, let me know. Going to check the distributor and plug wires tomorrow, friend has a volt-meter... Hopefully it is something that simple.

This sounds like a problem I used to have with my 89 Maxima. My problem was the distributor was slightly cracked, so moisture was getting into it whenever it was damp outside or if it rained or something. My sugguestion is to change your distributor and rotor button. They're really cheap and that's what it sounds like to me.

yea, as it turns out, i checked the spark plugs and they were fine, but got not spark. juice was going to the distributor, but none going out as it seems, so yea, ruled out any fuel problems i suspected... Being a full time student, just got the car towed, it was sitting in the snow up here in CO at my school, so couldn't really work on it very well with time constraints and weather. Anyways, thanks for the word, looks as though I'll just get the distributor replaced and be good to go!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind it could be the ignition module.

I recently had the same problem. I found that I had a weak spark. I took the ignition module down to the car parts store. They tested it and found that it was bad. Problem solved. ($45)

Archived