do 2003 tl type s's really have weak trannys

I have a 2003 that i just bought, the type s i thought would have a very strong build all around. I only have about 500 miles right now and was wondering if this is much of a issue. How many of you guys have had issues with this, what caused it, and how did acura handle this. Coming from a Jeep grand cherokee, I am seeking something that is a whole lot less maintenance. And a tranny is something that I dont want to really be screwin around with. Also what do you guys recommend changing oil at, and when should I go to a synthetic oil. Otherwise, I love this car and am fixing to put my stereo system in it. The car drives like a dream and has great acceleration. The tranny is a bit stiff right now in how when I change gears it has a little bit of a kick, but im assuming its just the car breaking in with the tip tronic. Also the fact that when i take my foot off the accelerator it slows down. Im guessin its just the breakin period...

Why would i want to change it that early, wouldnt i want the engine to bore out a little bit more and then do it. Also, doesnt this car have a strong transmission. I have heard that the car is very sound including this part. Consumer reports also said it ranked well, so i dont understand why this comment was made earlier....

TL's have bad trannys.. especially the 2nd generation TL's.. once it goes out on you, your probably still under warranty so.. ask your dealership. but yeah, a lot of CL's and TL's have bad trannys. mines still good and i have 55k on mines *knock on wood* other than that, TL's are awsome cars! until then, take it easy on your tranny

oh and by the way, i change my oil every 3k miles or every 3 months :)

the symptoms are like...your car shakes when you let go the gas or you step on the gas and the rpm doesn't raise..

what i recommend you do is get your tranny flushed. bring it to the dealer and let them know your having tranny probs. i assure you that they wont be surprised you have tranny probs.. ask them if doing a tranny flush will fix the problem....im sure it will..

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't worry about it. Some Trannys are good, some aren't. It has nothing to do with how you drive the car. My tranny went out at 20,000 miles and I drive pretty conservative. My service advisor said he's seen 60 year old ladies come in with blown trannies. When mine first started to go out it would just slip between the 2-3 shift. Eventually it got so bad the car would just rev freely for about 5 seconds. It would only happen when the car had warmed up. When it finally died, my TCS light came on along with the check engine light. Acura is well aware of this problem, and they treated me like gold when it was getting repaired. Don't stress too much about it...if your tranny dies, you'll get a new one free.

-Aaron

• 8 months later...

Not to mention the fact that Acura extended the warranty on the transmissions to 70,000 miles or so. Honda's in general have the same issue...the transmissions are fine for normal driving, but don't like to be abused.

Archived