Engines 101

Icy_winds_

It doesn't take a genius to figure out you have to change your oil as normal. You don't clean your oil pan out.

It looks like you haven't broken in a motor before and I haven't either.And yes you have to clean your oil pan out the first 20 miles, to remove the metal shavings that come from the piston ring break in process. I contacted GoldenEagle MFG. and mototune usa, and I'm gonna follow there steps. 80% of the ring sealing takes place in the first hour of running a new engine, going by the owners engine manual, is the wrong way and GoldenEagle and mototune proved it to me. If small Aluminum chips from the piston falls on steel parts such as the crank shaft and if it gets into rod bearings it coats and creates a loss in power. So they change the oil earlier so the get most of it out to prevent the aluminum problem, and regular oil change finishes it up.

BreakInF3Pistons.jpg

On the left that piston was broken in the way the factory book told (and the factory dosent go by the book) them to.

The right was the mototune way to break it in.

And another thing they told me is, you shouldn't use synthetic in the break-in process it put's it under arrest. You should use synthetic after the first 1,500 miles, or to be safe after 3,000 miles. Also if the block has been to the machine shop, there metal shavings left over from that too.

You do not clean your oil pan. All engines (whether brand new from the factory or recently built by a shop) do not have metal shavings or chips in them.

yes you do. G.E and Mototune both say to clean your oil pan out from the ring breakin. You've never broken in an engine before, so you should'nt be talking.

yes you do. G.E and Mototune both say to clean your oil pan out from the ring breakin. You've never broken in an engine before, so you should'nt be talking.

I have broken in quite a few engines, you don't clean the oil pan.

There is a thing called an oil filter. It filters out all metal or foreign objects in the oil. A piece of metal doesn't magically get stuck to the crank or something else, it just floats in the oil, then gets caught by the oil filter.

good call on the oil filter.....funny how they work, eh?

i read that article too, if i'm not mistaken.

i was told by the machine shop that built my motor (in my VW, but it's the same for all 4 stroke engines) to take it easy for the first 500 miles. ie: keep it under 3k at all times if possible. after the first 500 to the next 500-1000 keep it under 4k-4.5k at all times if possible. changing the oil and filter inbetween the two intervals (they say due to the extra amount of metal that can be in the oil). after the first 1500, change the oil again, and if you want to run synthetic, then to just put it in at this point and drive the car normal from there.

i'd heard rumors that the total seal gapless rings i had put in would take longer to seat.....so i kinda took the mototune way and mixed it with the machine shops way....so far so good i guess. all i did was listen to their rules about keeping it under certain rpm's, and with mototunes (if it's the right article) i floored it all the way up to that rpm limit. occasionally going over for the extra pressure that would be in there due to the VW 16v head not really breathing at all under 4k. taking it no where past 5k (limit is 7200). i do notice i burn oil somewhat.....'bout a quart or so every two weeks (quite a bit of driving for me inside that two weeks)...but that's probably due to the thin oil i run (5w/30 royal purple) and the forged JE's that are in there...i'm starting to question the machine work done to fit the pistons...but supposedly it's a really reputable shop...so. :shrug:

the extra cylinder pressures from WOT does make some sense as to literally push the rings into the cylinders....but i wont be for certain how well it works till i pull the thing apart again....who knows when that'll be. but also keep in mind that mototune article is centered around motorcyles.....still a 4 stroke, but their conditions are a little different than those in a car.....

if i had the money to keep rebuilding blocks and trying different break in periods, i would.....kind of like a real world test.

HTH.

There is a thing called an oil filter.  It filters out all metal or foreign objects in the oil.  A piece of metal doesn't magically get stuck to the crank or something else, it just floats in the oil, then gets caught by the oil filter.

Oil fiters dont catch everything dont talk to me like I'm stupid. I'm not taking your advice on breaking any motor in.

Mototunes way is not an article just for motorcycles as it says its for 4 strokes, G.E told me it in a very similar.

There is a thing called an oil filter.  It filters out all metal or foreign objects in the oil.  A piece of metal doesn't magically get stuck to the crank or something else, it just floats in the oil, then gets caught by the oil filter.

Oil fiters dont catch everything dont talk to me like I'm stupid. I'm not taking your advice on breaking any motor in.

Mototunes way is not an article just for motorcycles as it says its for 4 strokes, G.E told me it in a very similar.

Well. Oil filter + oil change = no metal = no need to clean oil pan. My dad is the area service manager for GM and he has no problems at all with engines that are under the break in mileage. The only time his techs (there are over 200) find metal in the oil is when a part failed, and yes, GM checks the oil when they change it in new cars.

i ran my oil through a filter.....didn't catch anything in it...had a slight shimmer to it from the small bits of metalic.....but nothing huge. i guess any big bits could still be on the other side of the baffle walls in the pan.... :shrug:

i ran my oil through a filter.....didn't catch anything in it...had a slight shimmer to it from the small bits of metalic.....but nothing huge. i guess any big bits could still be on the other side of the baffle walls in the pan.... :shrug:

I would clean the pan for the metal in the oil I could'nt see.

Archived