Help my 98 accord is dying!! need help!

bans25

Hi All,

Well I was driving along on the highway tonight in my 98' auto 4cyl accord (all stock) and the car suddenly lost power and started bucking, I also thought I could smell something burning but that could be my imagination.

I pulled to the side of the road (since I could barely keep going) and shut the car down. I was about to call a tow truck when I started the car and it seemed to run fine? I drove another 20 minutes home w/ not problems (ran great).

well I ran out again tonight to the store and the same thing happened, but this time after shutting it down

when I start it continues to run like crap.

Any ideas on what this could be? is there any thing I can look for to diagnos this problem, I am in a tough situation $ wise so I need to try to fix this myself. I am handy and do many repairs myself, just need some guidence on what to look for

any help is greatly appreciated!!

thanks!

-Bill

Hi all,

thanks for the responces so far! The latest is:

1) I checked the wires and they look good (no wear, and they are about 6 months old) the plugs were changed at the same time.

2) After letting the car sit everything was back to normal, then while 5 miles from my house it started again! I let the car sit for an hour and it runs fine again!

3) there is plently of gas, but for the first time the engine light came on, is there a way for me to read the codes?

thanks much for the help so far!!

-Bill

Hi all,

3) there is plently of gas, but for the first time the engine light came on, is there a way for me to read the codes?

thanks much for the help so far!!

-Bill

Yes, it could be done with a paper clip. A paper clip is used to jump the connector. All you do is count the number of flashes that the CEL gives off. The flashes equal a number and the number equals the code.

Archived