oil pressure problem?

Ryder

Bought a 93 Del Sol Si (stock engine, manual transmission), I have had it about 2 weeks. All fun until the oil light goes on. I'm pretty inept as far as car repair goes but I'm sick of being clueless, hoping somebody will have some advice here.

Made it about 100 miles into the road trip and oil light started to flicker on when coasting to stop signs, then stayed on. Pulled over and shut it down immediately, oil level seemed a bit low, added some. Got the poor thing last couple of miles to the destination unscathed and investigated for leaks, monitored it a bit and its looking like the oil level is not the problem, that is holding steady. So, installed a auxillary oil pressure gauge to try to see what is going on with it and my gut tells me things are not looking good.

I've got high pressure for the first couple of minutes after a cold start (about 75 psi). Warms up a bit and drops down, makes sense. Problem is, once its been running for a bit - say 10 min or less? - I'm dropping down to almost no pressure at an idle. Maybe 3-6 psi at best. This does not seem like a good thing. Anybody know what I should be at? When it is going down the road pressure is good, I'm registering about 43-50 psi running at 2500-3000 rpm. Got it home by riding the accelerator to keep the pressure up at stops - not sure if that was a great thing to do but hey, a girl has got to get home.

No leaks, no smoke, no noticeable burning smells. Just was a warning light and now that the light is bypassed I've just got a bad looking oil pressure gauge and a really bad feeling that something is not right.

The oil filter has been changed - not a clogged filter problem. Thought maybe the previous owner put in the wrong oil or hadn't changed it in forever so that has also been changed - now running full synthetic 5W-30. Also added some treats - Lucas oil stabilizer and StopLeak. No luck. Hope somebody can help. (I'm new to the forum world too so forgive me if I struggle a bit with how this posting business works - sorry in advance.)

Thanks

don't be sorry for the long, really detailed post. we usually only get as much info as your title. now onto your problem. Im thinking your oil pump may be going.

is there a dent in your oil pan, it may be crushing the pick up.

Pan looks to be in good shape. I do have an aftermarket plug in there from the previous owner, found the plug they put in at a parts store and the package specifically says not to use on Honda or VW. Must have been a real smart one. Suspect a clearance problem is why they advise against using on honda because the stem of the plug was up to a shield or something in the pan, did not feel like it hit anything mechanical so I don't believe any damage was done. Sawed off the end of the stem a bit (had to work with what was on hand) to try to remedy the problem but even now with it not seeming to be interfering with anything in there I have no change with the low oil pressure problem.

Seems kind of weird that the pump would only be dysfunctional at low RPMs but I guess I really don't know much about it. How complicated is the pump to replace? If it is a rookie-level fix, is there a recommended repair manual or something out there? I'm trying to learn to do this stuff but very little experience unfortunately.

Another source says it's because I've got a high mileage car (190,000...should be just getting warmed up, geez) so everything is just wearing out and it can't hold its pressure anymore - so dump some lucas stabilizer in and drive. Anybody else noticing this pattern with the oil pressure in their car or is this guy just lazy and taking the disposable car attitude on the problem?

well, ive got about 260k (ish) on my z6, don't have an oil pressure gauge but light never comes on, and i drive VERY hard... i haven't had to replace my oil pump but i have replaced the t-belt and water pump. because seals were going bad.

• 1 month later...

In case this post is of any value to someone in the future, here is what the end result was in this particular case:

Do not underestimate the value of a good oil pressure gauge. I got a basic one from the closest auto store on a weekend at the cabin - just something to try and get an answer and get home. I had another guy take a look at the car, he put his good oil pressure gauge on it and turns out it is actually doing ok. It is getting about 13 psi at an idle when it is hot (10 is minimum) and running 40-50 range hot. The bad oil pressure sensor is now replaced and no more oil light. It did develop an oil leak along the way and required an axle replacement...but I'm so happy the engine isn't dead (everyone else I talked to said it was worn out and on its last leg) I figure it deserved a new axle for good behavior anyway. Thanks for the tips Raley, I appreciate it.

Provided maintenance is done regularly throughout it's life 190k is not a worn out engine. Regularly is an extremely loose term here too. I can vouch for the extreme abuse the single cam engines can take without giving problems: running at 240 degrees for extended ranges, driving for extended time in 3rd gear on the expressway, having no oil in the car at all for 200+ miles due to cracked pan plug gasket, how about having never changed the oil or filter over the last 5 years/20k miles (aside from adding oil due to aforementioned leak)? Car is driven with pedal mashed to the floor more often then not and shifting doesn't occur until over 5000 rpms every shift.

It's my toy and I have been trying to kill this b7 without being obvious for 5 years now. If it suffers a 'normal' death the Mrs. won't bitch as much when I swap the engine.

The z6 of yours is a tank of an engine.

holy crap man

Yeah better hope your wife doesn't catch on - I'd be inclined to strangle you for treating a car like that if I were in her shoes...of course, i'd be damn proud of a husband who actually had the skill to replace an engine so I guess its a wash.

Glad to hear it is a solid engine, looking forward to putting a lot more miles on it.

Like he said, not a major undertaking to fix but something to get repaired pronto.

I had purchased the car for fun knowing I was going to replace the engine and then could not justify to myself the need to replace a motor that was running as it should. Thus began my covert plot to remedy that problem.

Archived