Car wont stay started!!

sah_sol

i have a 1993 del sol. it has a 1.5 engine. It will turn over and start, but will die immediately. Sometimes if I keep tapping the gas it will stay on, but when I let off the gas, it will not idle and dies.. It also back fires time to time, but i think that is another problem. I replaced the 4 spark plugs and the starter. I think my problem is the thing that brings in air to the engine (cant remember the name) is too big for my car and/or the timing on my car is off . Any ides of why this is occuring??

i took the intake off and my dad just slipped his hand over the whole and it did better from time to time. I have got a check engine light before when it was running but it went off and doesnt come on when it starts, but it might not have time to come on since the car cuts off so quickly. When i can keep it running, by pushing the gas sometimes, the light doesnt come on.

Archived