I have a new car.

CivicSam

Hi,

I recently purchased the 2003 civic lx coupe. as you may know it is 115 hp (whoo hoo, I can feel the breeze now). First I have a confession. It's automatic, not manual. :blush: The reason is a. I'm hoping when I sell it that I won't reduce my pool of potential buyers b. I'm nasty on the gear shifts and I'd be doing my car a disservice and I'd waste a lot of gas and money on new gears.

So that being said, my intent was to leave my car as is... but now I own a car, so why not.

Over time I would like to

-get new tires

- lower it

- get blue lights for the interior

- improve the engine performance

So I'm new and I've been doing a lot of research at the libraries, garages and internet, but I still need advice.

First of all, I guess I would really like to know how I can improve my speed without actually doing an engine swap? I understand better sparkplugs, air filters and such will help, as will a supercharger, but what are some simple reliable things I can do until I get the experience to really change the car.

Secondly,

I do want to lower my car. My friend who has a parts shop keeps trying to push coilovers on me, but I think it's just because he got some in for me and wants to get rid of them. From what I understand, since I'm not a racer, coilovers would be a waste for me, and the lowering springs would do me fine, and I wouldn't need to buy as much other stuff. From what I have learned I understand that coilovers will require new suspension and other changes, and springs won't need as much. Is there any truth to this? My friend also says that during the winter I should raise my car again and that is why I need coilovers (uh, I live in the Toronto area, and while we don't have the worst winter in the world we do often get a large pile up of snow, I'm garaunteed half a foot several times a winter on my street). Is it a legitimate concern to raise my car again in winter?

Thirdly, yeah, I'm sure I must be a ricer because I want the blue neon effect in my car, but I don't want all those wires. I want a more subtle effect, and I figured I could achieve that by replacing my interior lights with blue lightbulbs.... haven't found any that will fit my car yet. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions? Is there a lightbulb paint I can get?

-get new tires

- lower it

- get blue lights for the interior

- improve the engine performance

No need for new tires. Don't need to lower it. Rice. Doing any performance mods to that engine is pointless... a. The engine sucks b. It's an auto.

First of all, I guess I would really like to know how I can improve my speed without actually doing an engine swap? I understand better sparkplugs, air filters and such will help, as will a supercharger, but what are some simple reliable things I can do until I get the experience to really change the car

1. You don't need to go faster unless you're going to race.

a. If you're going to race, you should have gotten a manual.

2. Sparkplugs, air filter, and other BS mods won't help a damn bit. Leave it stock.

3. You don't need lowering springs if you're not going to race, and you said you aren't.

4. Blue lights? Do you work at Wal-Mart? There is no point to these. Wow, you're car lights up blue on the inside but you can't read a map at night worth a damn.

If you want to be cool or fast, you shouldn't have bought an automatic economy car.

dude i dont see why you just picked apart everything the guy said and ripped it up?

He's a nice and intelligible person. While he's not a hardcore racer, he wants what men naturally want, a pimp ride and power when he feels like it.

So i say, he deserves some props, for seeking out advice and researching on something he's not a professional at. While i dont think you'll get a whole lot of help at this forum on modifying your civic.. you might try 7th gen civic , honda-tech , super honda. They might provide you with more info, i wouldnt know for sure because i've never looked for civic advice.. but those are good places to start.

well best of luck on your car, laters

1. How do you know he's nice and "intelligible" person? He has one post.

2. With the stock B17 with a slushbox, he won't have a damn bit of power.

3. A lowered Civic with blue interior lights isn't pimp.

4. He will get no love on Honda-tech.

5. I don't see why you defended someone you don't know against someone who gave him answers and wasn't mean to him at all.

a lowered car is rice?

I'll make it easy for you to read...

1 get new tires

2 lower it

3 get blue lights for the interior

4 improve the engine performance

1No need for new tires. 2Don't need to lower it. 3Rice. 4Doing any performance mods to that engine is pointless... a. The engine sucks b. It's an auto.

Hey man, I am nice and intelligent. :D

Anyway, I am aware that it doesn't have power and that I am not racing and yes it is all rice. What I do want is to boost the power some more, and I do want it lowered and blue lights for looks. I don't care if you think that doesn't look good or if it's pointless, it's still something I want to do. So if anyone can help with my situation in a more productive manner, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks. Hype, thanks for the site suggestions.

Lowering. You think you look cool with a lowered car on stock wheels. Hope you don't mind a bumpy ride.

Blue lights. Need I say more?

BS power adders. Hope you know you won't notice any more power.

heres some suggestion for you to look pimp lol and have a about 500hp.

step1. neon light kit from walmart adds about 20hp step2. apc exaust with 8 inch tip worth about 50hp step3.19 chrome wheels with rubber band that will help you put your monsterous hp to the ground step4.10ft aluminum wing to hold the rear wheels downyou know mo traction to the front wheels step5 spark plugs and a body kit well thats about all you need to sucessfully make 500hp

Hey man, do whatever you feel like doing. Its your car and your money, but I do have to agree with SSRX7 in that engine mods will not help you at all unless you do some sort of forced injection which isn't too smart with that motor. you aren't gonna physically feel a difference with bolt-ons. Most people get a false feeling of power because their exhaust is loud.

Lowering your car is perfectly fine to get rid of some of that wheel gap and to make your car feel sportier. Notice that I say FEEL sportier. Again, your not gonna want to tackle the twisties with just springs. There's more to tuning suspension than that. And don't waste your money on Coil-overs just so you can adjust the height. With the snow in the winter its gonna be a bitch though so you really need to consider that. My suggestion, wait till spring. Right around the time its starts to snow again you'll need to rip out your suspension again anyways because the stock shocks we'll be shot.

Finally, to each his own about the blue lights. That is your choice.

oh ok my bad sry to put down the poor ricerim just sick of all of them i cant go anywhwere without seing them or hear someone talking about them and its usualy girls running around bragging telling me how there b/f's civic that runs 17's is so fast and on and on but hey if your gonna ppost something like i want some blue neon lights then expect to get flamed

Do I have a mullet? I wish. That would really seal the deal.

I appreciate the constructive criticism RSXer. I don't mind the criticism folks, but productivity is more appreciated than just ripping into me a few days later just to feel good about yourself.

Incidentally RSXer, I'd be replacing the shocks, my concern is that enough, or will I find that I've blown the new shocks as well because I forgot another step in the process.

And I don't want neon, I want blue lightbulbs... see I'm not just any ricer, I'm a cheap one too.

he i thought of cheap inventive things for my car...thats waht makes it unique....

and civic sam...ssr doesnt mind expression his opinion..but he can be nice...you'll get use to it...he calls my car a ricer too..lol

And I don't want neon, I want blue lightbulbs... see I'm not just any ricer, I'm a cheap one too.

any lights that go under the car are neons...regardless of color (except white i guess). they are all rice. ANY light that you add to the exterior of your car can be rice...washer squirters, different color fog lights, under car lights...the list goes on.

do what you want, but its still rice. it doesn't matter, if you like it then its fine...but people will always call your car ricey.

Do I have a mullet? I wish. That would really seal the deal.

I appreciate the constructive criticism RSXer. I don't mind the criticism folks, but productivity is more appreciated than just ripping into me a few days later just to feel good about yourself.

Incidentally RSXer, I'd be replacing the shocks, my concern is that enough, or will I find that I've blown the new shocks as well because I forgot another step in the process.

I'm not ripping you to feel better about myself. I'm telling you there is no need to fix up your engine, and no matter how good you think blue lights will look, everyone will laugh at you either in front of your face or behind your back for having them.

The lightbulbs are going in my spotlights... as in inside my car, the map lights. I want a muted effect, not exterior. There's no point to having neons outside your car unless you could drive with them because I'm not going to sit in the parking lot posing.

Oh yeah, I figured the mullet wasn't directed at me.... but for the record, I did have a mullet once... a big nasty hockey hair one... didn't look so great with my semi curly hair... I was like Jagr.

as far as any civic goes, there's an automatic response of "rice" so no matter what, there's just no pleasing ppl. So why not try a different route, and please yourself?

Like it has been said many times, it's his car. He's able to make his own decisions and able to wade around in the shallow waters of car modifications if he wants.

Archived