Honda Civic Rack and Pinion

creativedisco

Greetings: I've been trying for at least a month to find a replacement rack and pinion for my 95 Honda Civic. It seems that everyone has one for the power steering, but my car has manual steering, and no one seems to have that one. Sending in my core isn't really an option as I need to drive to work (I teach high school).

1. Would I be able to get away with using a power steering rack instead?

2. Are there any reputable dealers I can check besides A1 Cardone (the folks that JC Whitney uses) or junk yards? I was thinking EBay, but I don't want to get ripped off.

I honestly don't know anything about the rebuild kits.

What the guy at the garage told me was that since I have a bad seal (boot/sleeve/?) on it, all the grease leaked out and that it will eventually wear out. I honestly don't know anything about rebuild kits. For that matter, I don't really know anything about suspension.

id check junkyards and ebay, if you use paypal its a lot harder to get screwed over... what is wrong with your current rack? have you considered the rebuild kits?

It really doesn't make a difference if the motor is in or out, the rack drops from below. You could get away with using a power steering rack and just looping the power steering fluid lines so it recirculates the fluid, but I have RARELY seen a manual rack go out man I would just hold off and occasionally check for signs of wear such as play in the rack. ( The steering wheel will turn minimal amounts without the actual wheels turning, you will know if this happens especially while driving ) Get a second opinion on it man, or post up a picture on here and explain symptoms and I will be more than willing to help I am an ASE certified Honda technician. If I had to guess, I would say it is axle grease coming from a torn axle boot and is spraying onto engine compartment while driving.

Archived