96 Accord spark plug well filled with oil...

s_frost

So, for awhile now the third spark plug wire on my accord was pushed up just slightly above the others, that is, it wasn't 100% flat against the valve cover. It's been this way for at least a month, and not being a mechanic, I didn't make much of it. Today I decided to check it out, and it turns out there is oil in the spark plug well. I will check the others soon, but from what I have searched online, this needs to be fixed quickly. I just had the valve cover gasket replaced last year, they should have done the pieces for the spark plug wells at the same time. We have had some extremely cold spells here in Colorado over the past few months, but what gives? Anyway, is something really seriously wrong, or should I just replace those little gaskets and maybe the valve cover gasket again (I wouldn't mind doing myself, but I've never done it before...)

any help is appreciated

You should be fine just replacing the rings, but i dont think the kit is much more, which ever you feel comfortable with. Remember not to over tighten the bolts... IF one breaks they are expensive.

alright. thanks.

also, I just check two others and they are filled as well. I don't want to check the last. but for this model of car (the engine is the non-vtec four cylinder SOC), is there something like an upper and lower seal for those wells? like, if changing the rings doesn't solve the problem, is there something down below that that is causing it?

gaskets changed. it's been a few days now and there are no leaks, so I think that did the trick. the plugs didn't look damaged in any way, but I suppose it might be good to replace them anyway or at least check up on them every now and then.

thanks for the advice

Archived