need some advice =)

Tyknowlden

hey guys i have a 94 prelude si with an h22a swap i was hearing some funky noises so i did a compression check i got 120psi for the first 2 pistons and 60-90 in the last 2, i was told it was my exhaust valves, well i took my whole head off and took it to a shop to find out my head was in such good shape it didnt even need resurfaced... ugh... so at this point im guessing piston rings so im going to rebuild the engine im just curious on which parts to go and wheres a good website to find these parts, i was thinking eagle titanium rods because (eventaully) i want to run boost but if i have no turbo on will those kill my performance? i need to find good (cheaper) pistons too please let me know what you would suggest and thanks in advance!

ANY head that has been on a block and run needs to be resurfaced!!

as for going boost, if youre going to do it the right way then you'll be forking out some cash.. since you have a h22 i would have it sleeved which will cost you about 1,000 just to have it sleeved, but you will never have to worry about cracking a cylinder wall, unless you blow a headgasket and water gets into the cylinder.. as for pistons, i like JE.. and if you want cheap pistons youre building the engine the WRONG way.. as for your rods, eagle is a great brand..

lesson for today kids.. you have to pay to play :)

haha yes you do have to pay... out the ass! =p thanks for the replies im gonna get the turbo kit when my taxes/loans comes in which is in jan i just wanna get the block ready for it by then, im pretty sure my block is already sleaved, the cylinder walls are white and super smooth it looks like the wall from an inch under the top of the block is plastic (obviously its not) but is that a sleeve? and if i dont sleeve is that a huge no no? to be honest i dont have 1grand to get it done will i be hurting anything? or is it just more likely ill kill my block? any helps appreciated =] btw has anyone had to take an h series out before? its looking like if we pull it from the top it wont clear the trans and i really dont wanna have to drop them both from underneath... heres some pics thanks guys

http://yfrog.com/06h22aj

http://yfrog.com/j3headmrj

• 1 year later...

Where in the world are you guys on these forums getting the idea that you need forged rods? Just because an 800 HP honda has them doesnt mean you need them!! For crying out loud go read some books and learn something. As high as you guys rev these motors you are putting twice the compressive load on the rod from the crankshaft decelerating the piston and rod from +40 feet per second to zero at BDC than you ever will from the power stroke even under boost. And even if running 14 pounds of boost vrs an NA motor peak pressures only increase slightly, it is the additional 3 to 4 times more pressure at 90 deg crank angle that a turbo motor gets its torque. High rpm will stretch and press on the rod do to the pistons inertia far more than you could load it from the power stroke. Unless you are revving to 10,000 RPM or running 30 psi and nitrous save some money and lay off the rods. Corky Bell has a book called Maximum Boost. I suggest reading this as it will show you many things about turbo charging.

Bells book is amazing.

The reason we go forged interals is mainly because the stock honda stuff only works till like 400 hp and most honda owners are fan boys just like most VWfags. Im kinda suprised to se someone on most honda forums laying down real math. Its quite rare of a site like this to get that kinda traffic.

• 5 months later...

ANY head that has been on a block and run needs to be resurfaced!!

as for going boost, if youre going to do it the right way then you'll be forking out some cash.. since you have a h22 i would have it sleeved which will cost you about 1,000 just to have it sleeved, but you will never have to worry about cracking a cylinder wall, unless you blow a headgasket and water gets into the cylinder.. as for pistons, i like JE.. and if you want cheap pistons youre building the engine the WRONG way.. as for your rods, eagle is a great brand..

lesson for today kids.. you have to pay to play :smile:

if you dont mind can i ask you what your running? u seem to know what your talking about ;) if your from nj we should meet up and run some time

i check ur profile out sexy del sol no need to explain <3 check job on the motor you got me their :) give credit when its due im running

h23a

√header 4-2-1

√test-pipe

√short ram air intake

√apexi n1 exhaust

* gude intake manifold

* throttle body spacer

* light weight fly wheel

* stage one clutch

* p28 ecu and step down hardness

tune ;)

even though this is a noob fail in my book ill reply because 1 youre talking to me personally and 2 im bored as shit lol

hmm what i WAS running made 511whp on 13psi and 91 pumpgas :)

now its being built for more power, selling FMIC, intercooler piping, fullrace turbo mani, turbo.. and buying fullrace outlaw front mounting twin scroll turbo manifold, PTE88 turbo (good for 1250hp), another 50mm TiAL wastegate, and im unsure on what FMIC and piping im going to buy for now.. planning on making 800+whp on 25psi and VP109

Archived