92 Accord Quits Unexpectedly: Please Help Me Troubleshoot

triton318

The 1992 Honda Accord my two 17 year olds drive has been acting peculiar. The car has about 160,000 miles on it.

- First Incident: Engine stopped running while the car was being driven in stop and go conditions; speed limit 45. Would not start for about 20 minutes. Finally it started and there were no further problems, until...

- Second Incident: Engine wouldn't start after car had been sitting in a parking garage for about two hours. After sitting for about 20 minutes, car started, but engine quit after driving about 75 feet. After waiting about five minutes, engine started and there were no further problems until...

- Third Incident: After driving at highway speeds for about 10 minutes, and while exiting on an off ramp, the engine quit and would not start. After waiting about 30 minutes, engine started and car was drivien about 100 yards before the engine quit again. Car would not start (until the tow truck dropped us off at the house and I turned the key and....yep, it started).

These incidents were separated by about a week.

My first thought was it's a fuel-related problem. Would a faulty fuel pump cause these symptoms? Bad fuel filter? One thing -- the last time I put oil in (the car burns some oil), I put too much in. Could too much oil (i.e. too much oil pressure) cause these symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Jay

The 1992 Honda Accord my two 17 year olds drive has been acting peculiar. The car has about 160,000 miles on it.

- First Incident: Engine stopped running while the car was being driven in stop and go conditions; speed limit 45. Would not start for about 20 minutes. Finally it started and there were no further problems, until...

- Second Incident: Engine wouldn't start after car had been sitting in a parking garage for about two hours. After sitting for about 20 minutes, car started, but engine quit after driving about 75 feet. After waiting about five minutes, engine started and there were no further problems until...

- Third Incident: After driving at highway speeds for about 10 minutes, and while exiting on an off ramp, the engine quit and would not start. After waiting about 30 minutes, engine started and car was drivien about 100 yards before the engine quit again. Car would not start (until the tow truck dropped us off at the house and I turned the key and....yep, it started).

These incidents were separated by about a week.

My first thought was it's a fuel-related problem. Would a faulty fuel pump cause these symptoms? Bad fuel filter? One thing -- the last time I put oil in (the car burns some oil), I put too much in. Could too much oil (i.e. too much oil pressure) cause these symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Jay

Too much oil probably wouldn't do this; too much oil usually can cause oil seal leaks, very annoying problem but the car keeps running, until it runs out of oil and the engine seizes of course..

But it does sound like fuel or ignition, since the car sits and then starts. More probably fuel since ignition problems tend to not be so intermittent with electronic ignitions.

But could be ignition oriented if the car is reacting to a sensor that tells the ignition to turn off for a while.

I usually do a replace on obvious parts since at 160 it might need tune up, etc. Fuel filter is obvious replace.

This is one time where it might be worth having a mechanic put it on their computer and watch it run for a while. Even a tune up center might be able to help you, and just replace a sensor and you're done. But with kids driving the car, nothing can be taken for granted; air filter, oil filter, trans fluid level, etc.

I think I've wrecked a car just about every way possible when I was a kid; screw down the carb, run an engine with no oil filter, back into things.

Live and learn...

Archived