Interior swap.

vDerickv

I'v recently gotten into the looks of my car more and noticed that black and tan don't look good together.

I want to change the color of my interior from tan to black. i have a couple options.

I have $650.00 saved away specifically for this.

Should i...

1. Repaint the interior black myself (I'm not sure if i would do a good job or not i'm not very skilled at painting (: )

OR

2. Buy new D-Black interior?

Car is a 93 Honda civic ex coupe.

When doing it i would have 4 people including me removing the interior.

It would be nice to hear from civic owners who have swapped in black interior. Either painted or swapped.

It would be nice to know how easy or complicated it is also.

Well the first thing I would do is start looking for a wrecked civic that has a black interior and see how much its going to run you.

You could paint everything yourself but unless you take every step to do it correctly it won't turn out very well.

Civic Si hatches had all black interiors. You can often find the whole, or part of their interiors available on craigslist. you won't be able to get every piece you need for your car since every piece doesn't exist, you will need to paint/dye a few of the back seat parts

I'm just thinking about painting it all i would take the time to do it all nice and careful.

What paints should i use? should i primer first?

The door panel has tan fabric material on it how would i go about this for painting? Should i just replace the whole door panel with the suggested si interior?

How would i go at this by painting/drying myself.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard. I'm just worried about if the paint will come off.

Also should i just buy an all new headliner or paint it? (its not fabric)

Thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it!

Could you take a pic of your interior so we know what youre talking about a little better.

As for types of paint, duplicolor and krylon are usually pretty good.

I would definitely use a primer, and when painting, do several THIN coats, and you can always lightly sand between coats.

not to tell you what to do with your money but i would drop the 650 into motor work... cause your interior doesn't look to be in bad shape...maybe some new carpets and you'd be set... just my opinion though...best of luck with the interior swap/paint!

not to tell you what to do with your money but i would drop the 650 into motor work... cause your interior doesn't look to be in bad shape...maybe some new carpets and you'd be set... just my opinion though...best of luck with the interior swap/paint!

I'm planning on painting it myself so it wouldn't be anywhere near $650.00.

I would love to put money into my motor but i don't have a steady income

I'm not gonna make it a complete project yet.

I plan someday to Gsr swap and boost but thats when i have the money i don't yet.

As soon as i get a steady job i will put work into the motor but for now i want appearance and handling.

Looks like the guy with the mustang listed all the necessary paints you'll need.

I say start small. Take out a piece of your interior that you don't really see up close, so if you mess it up horribly it wont matter.

Sand it down a little, clean it, then use adhesion promoter/primer whatever it needs and start the painting process.

The most important thing with painting is patience. Just take your time and do it right. Don't just rush through by putting one heavy coat on and moving to the next.

If you do that, the paint will look horrible, and it will chip/flake off.

Plastic trim:

You have to use a quality paint specifically formulated for plastic - like a krylon. Make sure to thoroughly wash the plastic trim pieces in a good degreaser soap to get off oily fingerprints and to remove as much of the native oils from the surface of the plastic. Priming will help, but no matter what you do it will chip or show the original color through the paint after you ding it a few times.

Vinyl dash and doors:

Do not paint. Because the vinyl covered surfaces in a Honda have a foam backing the material flexes when you push on it. No amount or type of paint will prevent it from flaking off when it flexes. Use a fabric dye formulated for vinyl.

Fabric door insert, seats, rear dash and headliner:

Obviously you can't paint these, but the vinyl fabric dye will be safe to use on these surfaces as well, but it will use a lot of dye and for a little while the seat fabric will be stiff and crunchy. It will soften up a bit after use.

Carpet:

You can get a liquid dye. Pull the carpet, get a drum, add water, dye and carpet and stir. Usually takes overnight to get a nice dark color.

yep, when i say everything, i mean everything.

i wish i had a pic of the inside of the car i got it from, it was bare.

Thats an amazing price for all of the interior and for only $300! I think i'll wait until a car i can strip the interior of is available.

Archived