ECU upgrade?

Sean2012

Alright so i went to a shop that installed my exhaust and asked about the header... he said it would be outta my price range and would be trouble because of the cat converter... so i said screw that but he told me if i wanted some noticeable power i should upgrade the ECU. So im thinking about looking into that but i dont know where to start and what good brands are so if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

ok, first problem is you asked someone at a service garage/shop for advice on your car for anything other then how much to fix XYZ. Never a good idea unless that person is your personal friend or a family member. You have no idea what they do or do not know (and in this case he was half right, which is half dangerous)

The header for your car is a pain due to the cat. It may be out of your price range now, but is not an overly expensive upgrade compared to a lot of things you could be doing instead.

The ECU thing tells me the guy knows 0 about tuning a Honda. He might know how to repair and rebuild every inch of that car stock for stock, but he knows absolutely nothing about aftermarket tuning. there is no such thing as 'upgrading' your ecu. You can switch it out for a different one if you have changed the engine or transmission, you can add controller chips and what are called piggy-back chips, you can reflash the eeproms and a lot of other things. None of these is going to do you any good until the point where your car has a turbo, supercharger or is otherwise modified to an extent that your stock fuel delivery system no longer can keep up. Completely random number out of thin air but I would guess you can upgrade your engine to output 25% more power before the stock fuel injection needs to be messed with at all.

ok, first problem is you asked someone at a service garage/shop for advice on your car for anything other then how much to fix XYZ. Never a good idea unless that person is your personal friend or a family member. You have no idea what they do or do not know (and in this case he was half right, which is half dangerous)

The header for your car is a pain due to the cat. It may be out of your price range now, but is not an overly expensive upgrade compared to a lot of things you could be doing instead.

The ECU thing tells me the guy knows 0 about tuning a Honda. He might know how to repair and rebuild every inch of that car stock for stock, but he knows absolutely nothing about aftermarket tuning. there is no such thing as 'upgrading' your ecu. You can switch it out for a different one if you have changed the engine or transmission, you can add controller chips and what are called piggy-back chips, you can reflash the eeproms and a lot of other things. None of these is going to do you any good until the point where your car has a turbo, supercharger or is otherwise modified to an extent that your stock fuel delivery system no longer can keep up. Completely random number out of thin air but I would guess you can upgrade your engine to output 25% more power before the stock fuel injection needs to be messed with at all.

Hmmm okay thanks

what should i do that would help besides a new header?

Sorry to sound harsh. Installing a chip on your ecu will allow you have an altered air/fuel ratio, removed the rpm cutout and have a different vtec engagement point (which you don't have a vtec motor anyway). So the bottom line for you is you would actually get a little more power out of your engine by running rich. Your fuel economy will go into the can, and you will now be able to over rev the car and potentially blow the motor.

Not a good combo.

If you are intent on keeping the car long term take your time and figure out a solution for the header and save up for it.

Remember: Shortcuts are never the easy route. If that were the case it would just be the way.

Sorry to sound harsh. Installing a chip on your ecu will allow you have an altered air/fuel ratio, removed the rpm cutout and have a different vtec engagement point (which you don't have a vtec motor anyway). So the bottom line for you is you would actually get a little more power out of your engine by running rich. Your fuel economy will go into the can, and you will now be able to over rev the car and potentially blow the motor.

Not a good combo.

If you are intent on keeping the car long term take your time and figure out a solution for the header and save up for it.

Remember: Shortcuts are never the easy route. If that were the case it would just be the way.

nah dont worry about being harsh im open for a good lesson but alright lets say i get the header installed what would be the next step?

sky is the limit. whatever you want to do. there are countless little bolt on things that do relatively little for power output after intake/header/exhaust are complete until you would get to the point of installing a force induction setup.

At this point you could focus on making the car look how you want it, upgrading suspension parts or brake parts or whatever. There really isn't a how-to manual for this stuff. Read magazines, read the internet, read forums, read what other people have done already until you find something interesting and then ask around about it for opinions and thoughts on feasibility or cost vs expected performance gain.

if you dont plan on any turbo/super charger for you car then add every bolt on you can(exhaust/header/intake/improved intake manifold/high flow cat/slightly bigger injectors/port and polish the head) and then take it to a place that does dyno tunes. you can gain a good big of hp. at the most you will see 135whp on a very aggressive tune. anything more and you will need high compression pistons which can be a pita if you dont get the right ones.

the way i look at this is...its a honda, reputation for great handling. make it handle and corner as good as possible. then add power

sky is the limit. whatever you want to do. there are countless little bolt on things that do relatively little for power output after intake/header/exhaust are complete until you would get to the point of installing a force induction setup.

At this point you could focus on making the car look how you want it, upgrading suspension parts or brake parts or whatever. There really isn't a how-to manual for this stuff. Read magazines, read the internet, read forums, read what other people have done already until you find something interesting and then ask around about it for opinions and thoughts on feasibility or cost vs expected performance gain.

Alright thanks alot man been there for all my posts hah ill look into some things and post any questions i have Thanks!

if you dont plan on any turbo/super charger for you car then add every bolt on you can(exhaust/header/intake/improved intake manifold/high flow cat/slightly bigger injectors/port and polish the head) and then take it to a place that does dyno tunes. you can gain a good big of hp. at the most you will see 135whp on a very aggressive tune. anything more and you will need high compression pistons which can be a pita if you dont get the right ones.

the way i look at this is...its a honda, reputation for great handling. make it handle and corner as good as possible. then add power

Thanks alot ill be sure to look into this stuff

If you want a quick run-down of my stuff for ideas. Everything listed I have done myself and did for myself and not to impress other people. it's customized the way i want it.

Header

High Flow Cat

Full 2.5in exhaust

AC Removal (55 pounds worth)

Front and rear frame braces

Rear lower control arms (lca's)

Adjustable coil overs

front and rear adjustable camber brackets

rear disc conversion

gsr brake booster and mc

stainless brake lines

polyurethane suspension bushings

upgraded rotors and pads

prelude front seats

gauge overlay

painted wheels

recolor interior to all black

black projector headlights

shorty mirrors

things I am working on:

finishing my interior

relocate battery to trunk

convert p/s to manual

replace motor with better trim D

assemble turbo kit

repair newly appeared rusty quarter panels.

If you want a quick run-down of my stuff for ideas. Everything listed I have done myself and did for myself and not to impress other people. it's customized the way i want it.

Header

High Flow Cat

Full 2.5in exhaust

AC Removal (55 pounds worth)

Front and rear frame braces

Rear lower control arms (lca's)

Adjustable coil overs

front and rear adjustable camber brackets

rear disc conversion

gsr brake booster and mc

stainless brake lines

polyurethane suspension bushings

upgraded rotors and pads

prelude front seats

gauge overlay

painted wheels

recolor interior to all black

black projector headlights

shorty mirrors

things I am working on:

finishing my interior

relocate battery to trunk

convert p/s to manual

replace motor with better trim D

assemble turbo kit

repair newly appeared rusty quarter panels.

Wow thats sick i wish i could do all that thanks for all the help im going to work on my exterior while saving for a header and the cat. converter... also some goods news saw that jimmy johns is hiring so im planning on picking up an app. tomorrow and see if i can get a job!

Archived