92 Accord doesn't shift.

Honda_Lady

I was given a 1992 Accord EX with a auto trans.

I changed my Transmission fluid yesterday. it was NOT the first time it was changed but it was past due. my mom drove it to work yesterday and the whole way to work it didn't shift out of first gear. On her way home she was able to manually shift it. at first only into 2nd gear and drove it like that for a while. she was finally able to get it into 4th. it shifted normally for a while. she shut it off to get gas and the rest of the way home it didn't shift again PLEASE HELP ME!!! i am hoping that maybe it is electrical NOT the clutches.

i would love some advice please.

I am thinking the same thing, honda's seem to be very picky about the fluid. But also when you change the fluid you should change the filter. Adding new fluid could of stirred up junk in the trans and clogged it.

before i changed the fluid it was starting to having problems. over time the light around the D4 indicator was taking longer to go out as in telling me there was a code or something. before i changed the fluid i was driving home and it wasn't shifting into 4th because the D4 light was still on and suddenly the car revved up to 6,000 rpm. i stopped the car, put it in park sat there for a min and got back on the road, and it shifted fine the rest of the way home.

also i didn't know my Honda had a transmission filter and wouldn't have any idea where it is at.

Was it shifting fine before you changed the fluid? What type of fluid did you use? Mercon/Dexcron III?

forgot to put in my last post what fluid i used. i used Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF

UPDATE!!!

i replaced the TCU and the first thing i noticed was the light actually went off when it was supposed to. i took it on a test drive and it shifted into all 4 gears like it was supposed to, so it was NOT the clutches but the computer.

yah.. are you sure you used the correct fluid?

if it was fine before you touched it.. and now it broke.. you probably broke it

and thank you for that insight...............

yeah i was having problems with my 92 accord. found out it had the wrong yr tcu in it. had a 91 tcu. 90-91tc is the same 92-93 tcu is the same and 94-95 r the same. im still having a lil problem with mine shifting to the 2nd gear. when i get a lil cash i will get the shift solenoids changed.

yeah i was having problems with my 92 accord. found out it had the wrong yr tcu in it. had a 91 tcu. 90-91tc is the same 92-93 tcu is the same and 94-95 r the same. im still having a lil problem with mine shifting to the 2nd gear. when i get a lil cash i will get the shift solenoids changed.

well that's good to know more about what year TCU's work in what year Accords :)

i hope you get yours shifting right soon :)

Archived