h22 vtec problem.barometric switch.need help

i moved to big bear california. it is 6800 ft above sea level. when i go down the mountain my vtec works. when im almost up id say about 6500 ft up my vtec will no longer work. im running a p28 with hondata s100. my shop told me its because of the barometric switch. they said it reads the elevation level and when it goes up to high it shuts down the oil lines for vtec. does anyone know if this is true? or have any other idea what could be causing my vtec to stop working. I really want my vtec to work up here. any ideas how to fix it?

IDK if thats true

but your car tends to not run the best at higher elevations because there is less air.. so if I were you I wouldn't mess with it... its obviously not letting it work for good reason.. but thats just me

very good point... im just curious on why vtec wouldnt work. or if there was a way to fix it. i heard if i bought a jdm ecu it would make vtec work cuz theres no barometric switch.

again I have no idea because i've never lived in a higher area.. but thats a lot to go through just to have vtec isnt it? unless there is a track up there and the car is running find idk why you would go through all that

honestly the car is getting worse gas mileage and i have no horse power... only torque... its still enough cuz i have a lil more then 200 wtq but it sucks not having vtec... plus theres some kids around town wit some whack ass hondas that i would love to run circles around lol.... thanks anyways for the help.. if u do hear anything about how to fix it or find a jdm ecu online for sale i would really appreciate it if u let me know... again thanks

Piston engines are really not meant for high altitudes, especially when they are naturally aspirated. The only way to recoup some of the power lost at a higher altitude is through forced induction.

I would assume that you're ECU is leaning the mixture to adapt to the rarefied oxygen at 6500 feet ASL, the same way the pilot of an aircraft would manually lean the mixture to achieve the best performance based on atmospheric conditions. You can really only lean the mixture and advance/retard the spark so much before you will inevitably lose power again. I am not sure how broad a range the ECU has with respect to altitude changes, or what the actual critical altitude is for the H22. I know the ECU will adjust to keep the car running smoothly, but it can only go so far. It seems that 6500 is beyond the critical altitude and near the edge of the performance envelope.

If you get a really hot and humid day at 6500, you might end up having to push the car around. =P

Archived