love bugs

optional187

i'm not sure if "love bugs" are a nationwide bug...but here in florida they are more than just a pest.

if these bugs aren't called "love bugs" in your area but you still have them...here's a description so you'll know what i'm talking about. little fly's (a little bit bigger than the average house fly) that have orange sac things on their backs. they link together in pairs and one will navigate the other...i guess this is their mating process, thus the "love bugs" name. originally introduced to the united states (and i suppose the world) by the University of Florida (so says my mom) to combat mosquito's. but the university made a mistake and simply let loose a flying bug that does absolutely nothing but have sex with one another.

if they were just bugs i wouldn't really care. but these little things hit your paint job and they ruin it! if you don't wash the front of your car to get all the bugs off, and whatever acidic part of them that ruins the paint, then they will leave a mark where they splattered your paint...ruining it completely.

so...recently i was in that deer accident and got a completely new front paint job. now that these bugs are out and in season, hitting my car daily (so i'm washing it daily)..i was wondering if anybody knew of anything that i can use to help reduce the effects of these things. a friend of mine that i haven't talked to lately said that if you spray Pam (the cooking spray) on your car and wipe if off then it will remove the acidic part of the love bugs that ruins your paint job. i haven't tried it, but i guess its worth a try.

anybody know anything else?

Archived