Gear Dash Lights

Wendy

Hi Everyone,

My D4 light on my dash has gone out. My other gears, park and neutral light up fine. How do I replace the bulb just for this one light?

Anybody know? Thanks for the help!

-Wendy

pull the cluster out (youll need a #2 phillip tip screw driver)

First pull the switch cases out of the surround (the cases have the aux light, cruise, hazard, and rear window defroster switch) then disconnect the harnesses.

Then take out the 2 screws (i think) out of the surround piece and pull it off.

Then there are a few screws holding in the cluster itself, take them out, and pull the cluster out. There is a brownish red twist cap on the back of the cluster where your D4 indicator is, give it a 1/4 turn and pull it out. Goto the store and get a spare bulb and put it in. type 94's i belive. Then put it all back together.

First pull the switch cases out of the surround (the cases have the aux light, cruise, hazard, and rear window defroster switch) then disconnect the harnesses.

Then there are a few screws holding in the cluster itself, take them out, and pull the cluster out. There is a brownish red twist cap on the back of the cluster where your D4 indicator is, give it a 1/4 turn and pull it out. Goto the store and get a spare bulb and put it in. type 94's i belive. Then put it all back together.

Sounds like a pain i wouldnt worry about it my e-brake light bulb been burned out since a few months after i bought the car years ago..

Now this is the one behind the cluster not the one on the auto thingy cause those light up as well

But it all words i wouldnt waste my time with it thats just me haha

Thank you for your help. This does sound like a pain in the arse.....But where are the clusters and switch cases located?

Sounds like you might need a little on site assitance from a car/mechanically inclined person. If you can get someone locally to help, it would take about 5 minutes to disassemble, another 5 to reassemble. But you do need a rudimentary knowledge of what parts are which and what they do, or you could be in for a frustrating experience.

Once you have someone help you with this,you'll almost certainly be able to do similar tasks in the future on your own. We were all there at one time or another. Sometimes you just need help to get started. An alternative would be to get a service manual that has plenty of diagrams showing the parts/assembly procedures, but that's a big expense for a $3 bulb.

Sounds like you might need a little on site assitance from a car/mechanically inclined person. If you can get someone locally to help, it would take about 5 minutes to disassemble, another 5 to reassemble. But you do need a rudimentary knowledge of what parts are which and what they do, or you could be in for a frustrating experience.

Once you have someone help you with this,you'll almost certainly be able to do similar tasks in the future on your own. We were all there at one time or another. Sometimes you just need help to get started. An alternative would be to get a service manual that has plenty of diagrams showing the parts/assembly procedures, but that's a big expense for a $3 bulb.

Ha thanks! Thanks tells you what I know about my own car. LOL! I have my stepdad (lives up north) who is a pro mechanic and can help me. I just thought my question was legitimate

but we will figure it out. We have a manual and he knows his stuff. We pulled apart the drains and if we did that, we can do this!

Ha thanks! Thanks tells you what I know about my own car. LOL! I have my stepdad (lives up north) who is a pro mechanic and can help me. I just thought my question was legitimate

but we will figure it out. We have a manual and he knows his stuff. We pulled apart the drains and if we did that, we can do this!

Oh, absolutely your question was legit. The parts Tall was talking about are the panel your speedometer and gauges set into and the frame that goes around it that also helps secure it to the dash. The switches that are on either side (aux lights, defrost, cruise) pull out with a little force pulling toward you as you sit in the seat. It isn't real complicated, but a little knowledge of how instrument panel parts generally go together helps a lot just because pulling on things when you don't dont know how they go together can easily lead to broken parts and frustration. A service manual helps a lot on things like this too because they show the parts seperately and you can see how they fit together and where the fasteners are.

Archived