Cheapest Ways to increase power of h22a

Sephiroth

I have a 93 Prelude which I'm looking at doing a bit of a rebuild on as I've given it a bit of a hard time and its smoking a little bit when cold now and over 200000 k's pretty newb when it comes to car so just posting to get some ideas of what I can do to get more power out of it NA don't wanna turb a fwd, and also what are the most important things to replace on rebuild to get high compression levels again?

Also what are the most important things for stopping it from smoking and burning oil, Im guessing piston rings what about valve rings? etc anything else

I have a 93 Prelude which I'm looking at doing a bit of a rebuild on as I've given it a bit of a hard time and its smoking a little bit when cold now and over 200000 k's pretty newb when it comes to car so just posting to get some ideas of what I can do to get more power out of it NA don't wanna turb a fwd, and also what are the most important things to replace on rebuild to get high compression levels again?

Also what are the most important things for stopping it from smoking and burning oil, Im guessing piston rings what about valve rings? etc anything else

Firstly, 4127510106_90f7e00e3a.jpg = you?

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with turboing a FWD, I dunno what the deal it. I would worry about stopping the smoking and get everything working straight before I even thought about bumping up the power. But yeah high comp. pistons, cams, camshafts, change the intake manifold, change the throttle body. The big 3: Intake, header, exhaust (if you don't have that already). Start with getting it running right, trust me.

theres nothing wrong with boosting a fwd, if you know how to launch it right you wont spin.... too much lol

but the best bang for your buck would be to boost it.. id do exactly what was stated before, get it running right first then id boost it.. and DO NOT mix boost with highcompression pistons.. hc pistons + boost = engine detonation..

BOOST OR GTFH! :effyou:

if you think about it N2o wouldnt be because you have to keep refilling the bottle and it would end up costing more that a turbo kit :thumbsup:

What, you gonna have the bottle switched on 24/7?? No one does that, just when they wanna whoop someone's ass.

But how well would stock internals handle a turbo or nos?, I've just heard from people that stock internals on honda's can't really handle vtec plus turbo

Who told you that? Certain motors handle boost better than others. The F22 series handle boost better than the H22 for instance because of iron lining. Stock, even an h22 can hande up to 7 lbs safely so I've heard. But the F series can go higher without modding the internals.

Another question would it be better spending money on a engine swap to a h22a type s from a 5th gen with low k's or could I make my current engine faster than the type - s with same amount of money spent on upgrading

Bingo. A normal h22 swap is like $1500-$2000, while the type s or Euro R versions are about $3500.

Who told you that? Certain motors handle boost better than others. The F22 series handle boost better than the H22 for instance because of iron lining. Stock, even an h22 can hande up to 7 lbs safely so I've heard. But the F series can go higher without modding the internals.

Bingo. A normal h22 swap is like $1500-$2000, while the type s or Euro R versions are about $3500.

so you're saying go with the type s/euro r swap?, thats 5k in my country so it would be faster with the swap than spending 5k on racing cams and all that sort of stuff

so you're saying go with the type s/euro r swap?, thats 5k in my country so it would be faster with the swap than spending 5k on racing cams and all that sort of stuff

no i'm sayin to go with a normal swap and hook it up yourself. More power for less money.

Okay sweet really appreciate the help, how much extra hp could I expect from better cams and what would be good ones to look at getting?

Depends on everything else you have so it's hard to predict the gains. You could go after market or OEM with cams. OEM like Type S or Euro R (might be the same) are popular. Not as much HP as after market, but less aggressive too, so better for a daily driver. So it depends.

• 2 weeks later...

any aftermarket performance cam, will increase power....some more than others. However i wouldn't put any kind of cam or performance part into it until you found out why it's smoking. even something as "mild" as a cam change.

I would do a compression test, and or a leak down test to figure out where and what is causing the burning oil and or low compression before you do any kind of performance work.

Archived