Honda Front Clip Swap

ok so my friend just slide into the back of a mini van and the front of the car is tore up pretty bad. its a 94 hatch and i believe a D16y6. he needs a new front bumper, front fenders, hood, valve cover, radiator ore support, headlights. i am trying to find a doner car but will any 94 honda work? dont really know a bunch about his car at the moment because i havent even seen it yet but i was hoping to get a little insight about how hard you guys think it will be. will it be a mostly unbolt smashed crap and bolt in stuff from another car? i dont know if you radiator core supports are bolted in or welded in on your cars. i had a boosted 99 si and now drive a 417 fwhp srt 4 with a big turbo kit and 76 trim agp delta 55 turbo. i work on all my cars myself and i am car smart. just not super familiar with these year hondas. thanks for help.

92-95 civic 2-door and hatchback = same front clip

4-doors are different.

Yes, unbolt broken crap and bolt on good parts. Also you must have a degree in rocket science to perform these tasks.

92-95 civic 2-door and hatchback = same front clip

4-doors are different.

Yes, unbolt broken crap and bolt on good parts. Also you must have a degree in rocket science to perform these tasks.

thanks for that little bit of into. is it that hard to do. i got nothing but time so if it takes me a little longer im ok with it.

anyone else with some info on this. anything that i need to know before going in there? any special tools or is it pretty straight foward and just time consuming?

Radiator core supports are a separate metal segment that is welded to the front of the car. In just about any front end collision on a honda the core support will need to be replaced. Something about crumple zones and saving your life and whatnot... :rolleyes:

You can try straightening the support but it must be straightened out or replaced or you will have a hell of a time getting anything to attach, let alone line up right. Other then that it is pretty straightforward.

You can get a new core support for like 100 bucks or so and the proper way to install is to cut the old one off at the welds and spot-weld the new one on. But i've seen a couple people who just drilled holes at the welding points and ran nuts and bolts with washers. Not the right way....just saying.

I would definitely try to straighten it first. Get a good BIG pair of channel lock pliers and a small sledge hammer.

A tip for the fenders: there is a bolt or two behind the side skirt. You must pull it off to reveal them. Also there is one or two that will only be accessible with the door open (between the door and fender).

Also be careful with the little plastic snaps that hold on the inner fender. They break easily.

Tip for the hood: 4 bolts here. Don't tighten them until you think the hood is aligned. slowly attempt to close it and adjust accordingly. This works so much easier with 2 people.

Also, once it is closed, watch the back corners while you open it as they will bend if the hood is not properly aligned.

appreciated it guys. i will post up pics of it tonight. it will def have to have a new core support. thanks for the tips on the fenders. i think im going to try and square up the front end before i do anything. make sure the frame is straight. i know he said it looks like the door to fender gap is off but he nailed the back of a mini van. so i will check it out and post up some pics tonight and you guys lets me know what else i might need that i am looking over.

appreciated it guys. i will post up pics of it tonight. it will def have to have a new core support. thanks for the tips on the fenders. i think im going to try and square up the front end before i do anything. make sure the frame is straight. i know he said it looks like the door to fender gap is off but he nailed the back of a mini van. so i will check it out and post up some pics tonight and you guys lets me know what else i might need that i am looking over.

bump for any more info. i basically disesbled the entire front end yesterday. hopfully i can get the pics up soon. basically all that is left to take out is the front core support. i have the radiator out and condensor. front fenders, hood, bumper, crash bar and many other things. would it be easier jsut buying a new core support or going to a junk yard and attempting to cut it off another car and put it on ours. another thing is that the ends of the inner fender/ body have a little damage and where it come to a point in the front of the car has been crumpled about 4-6 inchs. what would be my best course of action to repair those. should i get some new sheet metal and cut out piece, fit it to the body with the correct angles and such and then weld it in. by the way. i have about 1500 bucks to play with so throw me some options.

You need to bend that fender rail back out A frame machine would be easiest. If you dont have access to one, try a big hammer. Or an electric wench. It's gonna be difficult to line it up right if you dont have experience in this.

Adjust and then try to fit the fender. Repeat these two steps until the bolt holes line up and the fitment is satisfactory.

Also, if the car has airbags that have not deployed, disconnect your battery before beating on it with a hammer. By the sound of it, this car may be more hassle than what it's worth.

Archived